Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • free motion quilting >
  • free motion quilting

• free motion quilting

Old 02-14-2007, 12:02 PM

I have a speed regulator on my Bernina, but use it to keep from going too fast as opposed to worrying about going too slow. I know it will take practice, but right now, I barely have time to sew at all, so I will put this off for a little while longer. Maybe one day I'll get organized (and the sun will come up in the west, too) :D
    Old 02-17-2007, 07:26 PM

PatriceJ,
    I just stumbled on your post while doing a search on the Singer 7436. I was looking at it today and am considering buying it tomorrow! Just wondered how you're liking it. Does it have a the blanket stitch/ buttonhole stitch? How does the walking foot work? I saw that you were pleased with the darning foot. any feedback you'd be willing to give me would be so appreciated!

Laurie
    Old 02-17-2007, 10:32 PM
    Administrator

I love it!!!!! Details are in a PM to you. My answer turned into one of my way-too-wordy essays. don't want to bore everybody else. again. they are soooo patient with me here. LOL

i forgot to answer your question about the walking foot. i have one on the other machine. almost never use it. a pain in the kiester to put on and there are plenty of ways to get a smooth quilt without it. ya just gotta be stubborn, curious, and willing to experiment.

check out singer's web site to see some of the other feet you can get. a ruffler - pricey, but i love mine. (skip those stupid so-called-gathering feet. what a pain to use and no neat little pleats.) they have a foot that trims away the excess fabric. the only reason i was toying with the idea of getting a serger. those two and the rolled hem foot are the only 3 you don't get by the time you add the bonus feet the the standard accessories. (the bonus feet are worth around $150 all by themselves.)

http://www.singerco.com/accessories/presser_line.html?singerco_product_id=1406

see? there i went again ... another essay ... to avoid an essay. ironic ... ain't it? :oops: :shock:
    Old 02-18-2007, 08:51 AM

Wow, Thank you so much! Got your private message also. I am getting dressed and going to the store! I am so excited. I was afraid that this machine is not enough of an upgrade from the one I currently have, but it is simply because it comes with a 1/4 inch foot, walking foot, and darning foot specificly made for it. I am having trouble and much frustration trying to use/find these feet for my machine. My mom & I spent an entire day fussing with a darning foot to free motion. My time is worth the cost of this machine! I too have been trying to be patient and save up for another machine, but I think that overall, this has what I want (except the needle up/down, which I had actually not noticed it was missing and I've never had it before, so I won't actually be missing it!).

Thanks again. You are very kind to take the time to give me your thoughts and you are quite amusing also! Happy sewing! I'll give you a report after I get my maching and put it to the test! :lol:
    Old 02-18-2007, 03:35 PM

I have a Pfaff Grand Quilter and the Inspira frame and I love it, but am wondering if anyone has one and if they have the Cruise control stitch regulator. It is very expensive and I am not sure if it is worth the money, it would be about $500. I also would like to know if it helps with straight lines and stitch in the ditch. I don't have trouble with my stitches on the pantographs, but when I do my own stippling and free designs, I find myself not being consistent.

Also can you disconnect it if you don't want to use it and is it hard to put on and take off. My friend's machine came with one and she said we could share it.

I would like any advice on the using the Grand Quilter and patterns for it.

Shirley
    Old 02-19-2007, 02:53 AM
    Administrator

i've been watching this thread like a hawk because my freemotion skills aren't even good enough to call awful. the one thing i keep reading over and over is that finding the right speed is critical. then i looked at a photo of one of those cruise control attachments. can't remember which brand. i'm only going by a photo, so i could be completely wrong, but it looks as though all it does is control how much power gets fed to the motor - which is exactly what we're doing when we press down or let up on the pedal. we just have to "think about it".

i don't remember which topic it was under (might be farther back in this one) somebody posted the "system" she and her husband came up with. he kept an eye on the presser foot while she stitched. when he figured out exactly where she stopped pressing harder because she'd achieved the perfect speed, he cut a little block of wood and glued it to the power pedal under the plate. now, she can't go too fast. could be wrong, but i'll bet that little piece of wood and few drops of glue cost less than $500.

one of these days, i'm going to get a friend to help me do the same thing. i'll either use velcro to attach the wood so i can take it off when i need to speed stitch, or i'll buy a second power pedal just for freemotion. bet that costs way less than a regulator, too.

i'm such a gadget junkie i'd probably get a regulator, too, if i could afford one. unless or until ... i'm going to steal that couple's idea and mentally thank them every time i use it.

there's a special place in heaven for all the folks who come up with ways to make quilting easier, more affordable, and more fun. i just know there is.

:D
    Old 02-19-2007, 07:19 AM

That's what I did. I unthreaded the needle and held the pedal in my hand to get the speed i wanted and then made a mark where i wanted it to stop, glued two match sticks there and let her rip.
    Old 02-19-2007, 08:05 AM

I have something like a stitch regulator on my Bernina. Press that button and no matter how hard you press the petal it only goes at half speed. I wonder if this would work too? I need to check that out sometime in this lifetime. :D
    Old 02-19-2007, 08:44 AM
    Administrator

explain that again in more detail, please. and where do the matchsticks go?
    Old 02-19-2007, 03:17 PM

Loosen both the thread tension, and the bobbin tention, can you also loosen the pressure between the foot and the throut plate, that will help with the drag. Wear gloves they help to grip. If moving the fabric around with hands laid flat, try griping a handful on each side (comfortably) on each side of a small area to be quilted. This works best for those of us with arthritis, and hands that cramp up. Go at the highest spead that your machine will go, but move slowly and fluidly. Hope this helps.