Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free motion >

Free motion

Free motion

Old 02-12-2011, 08:13 PM

Well, I've got the wine...
What else do I need now? :lol:
Old 02-12-2011, 08:57 PM

Get a cheap panel and sandwich that. Start by following the lines of the objects on the panel then fill in the background. Helps you practice your hands as well as your eyes. One more thing, if you have speed control mess with it until you find the speed your hands move. That is like having a stitch regulator.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Tamara
What do you all set your tension on?
I don't like the taste of wine or any other drinks that would help so that out for me.....
What about soda?
Old 02-13-2011, 03:53 AM

I was going to throw out my old channel quilted place mats, but realised they would be perfect for FMQ practise.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by oneygirl
I do all of my quilting with a walking foot. I use the book FoolProof Machine Quilting by Mary Mashuta as a constant guide.

I just went to Amazon and looked at this book. It looks to be an interesting way to quilt so I ordered a used book. I'm looking forward to trying some of her techniques.

Thanks for sharing the information.............................
Old 02-13-2011, 07:04 PM

Karen, thank you for the suggestion about the auto-pilot.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by babyfireo4
Idk what you would need (since i don't have free motion machine quite yet) I was watching a tutorial to get an idea of what it takes and the best idea I saw was to make 12 1/2 square sandwiches to practice one. It's supposed to get you used to it and not mess up a beautiful quilt and if you like them when your done they can be made into a quilt as you go quilt. hope that helps :)
This is a great idea, because I hate to do all the work and not have anything to show for it. I think it will also be nice to have my old practice pieces for reference as I get better. I just start yesterday on a little FMQ for myself. I was pretty pleased with it when I got done.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by texaspam
You have gotten a lot of good suggestions. Since the biggest key seems to be PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PATIENCE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, I thought I would share my experiences.
1. you definitely need those quilter's gloves. They really reduce the stress on the body and helps move the fabric.
2. I use basting spray, even on queensize quilts. I actually think it works better than pinning and those little tack guns. If you have a big design wall, it would be easier to spray baste. First get the back smooth, then spray, then put on the batting starting at the top and working your way out and down, then do the same with your top.
3. Start in the center and quilt it in quarters like you would handquilt.
4. Always pull your thread from the bottom when you start.
5. Have a lot of bobbins ready.
6. Coats and Clarks machine quilting thread is probably the least expensive but it does leave a lot of lint in your machine and you should clean your machine before and after your quilting.
7. Do a few wall hangings and lap quilts first. Depending on your machine, you may have to work with your tension, etc. to get your stitches right.
8. Use a print backing that won't show your mistakes as easily.
9. Don't worry about what it looks like. Just do it. Your next one will be better with.......practice.
10. This probably should have been number 1. Don't use polyester batting. It doesn't lay flat. For FMQ it is better to use cotton batting or cotton batting with a little bit of polyester. It is just way too hard to FMQ on polyester, especially when you are a beginner.

I can't wait to see your first one.
Watch out for the color fastness of Coats and Clarks. I don't know if they have fixed it, but I saw someone's quilt that they had done in red Coat's thread and it had faded into the white of their quilt... They had it on display in a quilt shop.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:44 PM

just a quick question. Where do you spray the quilts and backing? It has to be in an area where you don't breath the spray, so where do you spraying? Can a person use this inside?
Old 02-25-2011, 12:04 PM

I use the spray inside, but have the sliding door and windows open. Sometimes I'll use a fan. I use my kitchen table to lay the quilt out on. I have cardboard folding piece with a grid and measurements on it that I spread out on the table. You don't use a lot of the spray, just a light quick back and forth will be plenty to hold.