Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: french braid pattern

french braid pattern

Has anyone done the french braid using the small half hexi ruler. I saw this idea on Missouri Star. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dn_4vTxwfk
    It makes the cutest little braid, but I dont have a pattern for a quilt. The braid is only 5 inches wide, and no matter how I arrange the braids, it doesn't look balanced. They look so long and skinny. Any ideas?
    I have Googled french braid, watched Ellen do a Braid in a Day, but they all look wider. I'm stuck!

If you're looking for some ideas, check out Marcia's pattern for the braid, you can click on a few sample pictures there.
    http://www.quilterscache.com/B/BraidBlock.html

Blog Entries
    I think the ruler used in the MSQ tutorial is the binding tool ruler?
    Got fabric?

My avatar is a friendship braid quilt I made from Pam Lintott's Jellyroll Book.
    Last edited by klgls; 06-05-2013 at 07:06 AM.

I'm wondering if you could just make several really big blocks of a series of shorter narrow braids to create a sort of woven type design - or would that be too busy?

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I bought a book filled with French Braid Quilts. I think that's the way to go. They are lovely. You can find many books on Amazon that are used and quite cheap.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

thimblebug, that's just what I needed. thanks

I have used Eleanor Burns braid template, the half hexie from MSQC, the binding tool and just strips cut with a regular ruler. They all worked just fine. You have to make sure you are consistent with your seams with any of the methods.
    I am the sew n sew my Mother made.

I made a french braid quilt, easy to put together, but my advice is to stay stitch around the sides before you trim it up. Mine stretched a lot and I'll stay stitch next time.
    Alyce

Did you put the hexies together the long way instead of the wide way? ? ? Why was the braid so narrow?
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I have those templates but haven't tried it yet.

What I have seen that is really pretty is to put sashing inbetween the columns of braids. But, my favorite is when they use it as a border.

I think it would be great to use the small half hexi and make a small border around a center pieced block or panel, then some plain border, then use the large half hexi for a final, larger border.

Blog Entries
    or doll quilts

Thanks for the link.

Blog Entries
    I made the french braid friendship quilt as a baby quilt just using two 2 1/2" jelly roles and a photo. I cut the strips into 7" pieces. The chevrons IMHO look more balanced if you use the same fabric for the touching pieces. I loved the baby quilt. Here is a photo. First photo pieces on design wall. Second finished quilt.

Name:  adaline's quilt on board.JPG
Views: 542
Size:  108.5 KBName:  adaline's quilt.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  126.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by luana View Post
    Has anyone done the french braid using the small half hexi ruler. I saw this idea on Missouri Star. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dn_4vTxwfk
    It makes the cutest little braid, but I dont have a pattern for a quilt. The braid is only 5 inches wide, and no matter how I arrange the braids, it doesn't look balanced. They look so long and skinny. Any ideas?
    I have Googled french braid, watched Ellen do a Braid in a Day, but they all look wider. I'm stuck!
    I took a class last fall at our quilt guild and made one. We measured and marked each strip and quilted it as we went along. Did not use a tool of any kind.
    It turned out well but I would not make another any time soon.

I have made several French braids without a ruler or pattern. Just remember to keep in mind the ratio is 1 to 3. In other words, if you cut your piece 2 inches wide then it must be 6 inches long. if you do 2.5 then the length must be 7.5 I like this because you can make any size you want as long as you remember the 1 to 3 ratio. Hope this helps.

I also bought the book at Hobby Lobby with the coupon and it has the most beautiful patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    I made a french braid quilt, easy to put together, but my advice is to stay stitch around the sides before you trim it up. Mine stretched a lot and I'll stay stitch next time.
    I think this is good advice. I'll try to remember this when I make mine (it's on my bucket list). A friend of mine had the same problem when she made a tablerunner from French braids. Thanks for the reminder!

This is what I came up with for a solution. Because I was using the mini half hexi, the braids were only 6 inches wide. They looked too long and skinny to run from one end of the quilt to the other. I still would like a way to make a bigger quilt, as I have many, many scraps to use up. Thanks for all you help
    .Name:  french braid.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  166.7 KB

Senior Member quilting in my60s's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I think the ruler used in the MSQ tutorial is the binding tool ruler?
    Yes, it is and I am getting ready to try it out.
    quilting with my dogs

Oh I really like that! Came out wonderful!

Another option is to try a 60 degree braid from Fons and Porter. I cut my template from sandpaper, cut the strips, marked them and cut the braid pieces. It went together really easily. Here is the link:
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...47534661,d.cGE

and BTW - when I googled 60 Degree braid quilt to get the link, the images came up and much to my surprise, mine is there!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a set of 4 different sizes of 1/2 hexagons. I found it addictive and I didn't waste much fabric at all due to using the smaller sizes as I cut. I put each size in a separate shoe box. I will say the one thing I didn't do carefully enough was cutting on the bias. This did lead to some distortion so I highly recommend spray starching the fabric before cutting.

I think you came up with a stunning solution to your problem. Congratulations!

Power Poster
    I have made to table runners...I used the binding tool to make it...It works good...fast and easy...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast