Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Freshing after shipping

Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA

Freshing after shipping

I just shipped a quilt to my grandson and I know it will come out of the box needing a bit of pressing. How do I tell him to press it? It's a tied quilt so I don't want him to iron it. Should he just hold the iron close to it and let the steam do it's thing? Suggestions? :-)

It should be OK after it is spread out on his bed. I don't press quilts, depending on the batting used you could melt it accidently. At most i would put it in the dryer on fluff.

I agree with bakermom .... just letting it lay on the bed should take out most of the wrinkles. The few that remain have been earned .... just like the ones as we grow older. I'm sure he will love your quilt just as it is.

I sometimes throw mine in the dryer with a damp (not wet) towel for about 20 minutes.

You might be very surprised at how good it looks after being shipped!

ITA with the others, that laying it out and giving it some time, will help ease out any that might be there.

Another option would be to toss it into the dryer with a couple of damp towels (not fresh out of the washer, just dampened, or partly dried after washing). Tumbling in the dryer with the damp towels will give some steam which can help loosen the wrinkles!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Blog Entries
    Peg on the line and let the wind blow through.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    He won't care if it does have wrinkles. If you tell him to press it, he might just decide never to use it because it's "too much work".

Just lay it out on the bed, the fold lines will fade.

Most men have never used an iron (and don't want to learn how to), so I'd just mention to him the idea of damp towels in a dryer for a few minutes IF the wrinkles bother him. My guess is, it will go straight onto the bed, and he'll love it, 'as is'.

Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA
    Ok, thanks everyone. I sent him email with all the suggestions. Fortunately it's more the size of a lap quilt than a bed quilt since he plans on putting it on a quilt hanger in his bedroom. He has a dog who would ruin the quilt if it was on his bed so I made it smaller. :-)