Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Frixion Pen ?? >

Frixion Pen ??

Frixion Pen ??

Old 04-07-2014, 04:56 PM

Default Frixion Pen ??

I am wanting to buy some Frixion Pens for marking my quilts and am curious which works best, for marking the fabric, the fine point or extra fine point. I don't want to waste $ and buy the wrong ones. I know many of you on here will have good advice for me. Thanks!!!!
Old 04-07-2014, 05:38 PM

For me it wouldn't make any difference as both draw a line that is fine enough. Be sure to test the pen once you get it on your fabric. Overall I've had really good results with Frixon however I have had some instances where after the fabric was ironed you could see where the Frixon pen line had been. It was almost like it was a bleach line. This doesn't happen often so if you test it on your fabric and don't get this result you should be good to go. I have different color pens (a Christmas gift from my son) but really use mostly the black and blue ones so I wouldn't spend extra for the other colors.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:47 PM

I didn't realize they made two different kinds of friction pens. I have the 8 pack and use them all the time. If you mark something wrong on your fabric and want to mark it again, your iron makes the ink disappear like magic.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:00 PM

I know that many quilters say you should not use Frixion pens; but I use the black fine line ones by the dozens. I use the fine line as that is the only kind my office supply sells. I just finished using a Frixion pen to mark the quilting design on a quilt. It will be a quilt that will be well used. If the lines come back, heat will remove them again. If there is some chemical in the ink that will ultimately damage the quilt, that is OK. I am not making the quilt to, one day, be a beloved antique.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:01 PM

I love mine. In fact, I find excuses to use them such as sewing lines, quiling marks, just about anything I might use a pin yes, not pen, pin.... or pencil to mark. I found a pack of 6 with various colors on Amazon for less than what I paid for my first one. Others on here talk about erasable crayola brand pens but haven't used them yet.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:16 PM

I love these pens as they produce a lovely narrow nib.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:44 AM

i love them, too! I didn't know there was a fine and xtra fine point. I don't use dark colors on my quilts, so i haven't experienced the white line effect that people say they get. Although, I do have a white ceramic pencil for those occasions.

always test though.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:16 AM

My concern with the Frixion pens is the chemical left in the fabric and it's long term effect on the fabric.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:39 AM

I love the frixion pens too, but it was recently brought up at class, that the mark reappear when the quilt gets below freezing. So one of the ladies tried it. Yup, when the quilt got cold the marks reappeared even after laundering a few times. They are a great aid, but beware, if someone leaves a kid's quilt out in the car when it's cold, the marks will reappear. But they will disappear again after ironing . Supposedly it says this on the packaging.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:59 AM

I recently bought one of these pens, and they're cool but I have a huge problem with them...apparently I draw my lines TOO FAST because they erase themselves as I draw them. I guess the friction of the ball moving over the fabric heats it up enough to erase the ink!! I end up with a really pale line, about as dark as a pencil mark. I have to really slooooow down to get a dark line and that drives me nuts so I've switched back to my faithful mark-b-gone pen. Probably can use the frixion pen for something like drawing applique shapes where I'd be going a lot slower. But for marking straight cut lines, I'm just too speedy for it!