Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Frixion pen

Blog Entries

Frixion pen

I know there have been questions and answers about these pens. My question I don't think as been covered.

frixion pen marks disappear with heat. If you wash the fabric in warm water when the quilt is complete, will the marks wash out?
    Finished is better than a UFO

No. Well that has been my luck. Luckily I have only used it on one wall hanging but after that mess I tried it on different colored scraps, washing temp setting, drying temp, different detergents, ironing the marks out before and not ironing the marks out. Just get it cold and the lines will show up.

I have been so confused about how to use them for the quilts that I won't buy one. I was gifted one and have never tried it.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

It's my understanding that the marks disappear but don't wash out. Kind of scary. Though have friends that love them, I have never used one.

I have used them but only for making lines on the back of my fabrics so if the lines do return it really shouldn't matter. I really like using it but due to conversations about the lines returning I'm scared to use them on my tops.
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

I don't trust them, personally. They weren't designed for fabric use, and so I don't know what chemicals are in that ink and what they do to cotton fiber over time.

I have another problem with them aside from that concern: I tried using them anyway just to see how they did and apparently I draw my lines really fast - the friction of the pen tip running over the fabric vanishes the lines on me as soon as I draw them! LOL

I had bought a 3-pack; I took them all to work and use them there. Handy in meetings when people are being wishy-washy and changing their mind on me, I can sigh and dramatically erase stuff I had just written down. LOL

Friction creates heat so the marks have to have friction to go away. Tumbling in a hot dryer will work.

I use them. The gel washes out just like any other marking pens you use. I washed a sample after ironing and the marks did not re appear in the cold freezer. The sample I did not wash the marks came back. I trust them more then I trust the disappearing marking pens or the blue wash out pen which can be set permanently with heat. And I don't care if my quilts don't last for generations. They can make their own. LOL
    Last edited by Onebyone; 05-23-2015 at 05:57 AM.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I also have very mixed feelings about these pens. However, I purchased an embroidery pattern recently that recommended using them to transfer the pattern onto the fabric using a light box. I did an experiment. I do quite a lot of red work and had a piece that the original marks had faded out. So I used a red frixion pen to remark it. When I stitched it the marks were covered up. I will use heat on it-but it doesn't matter. So, when I do the new pattern I will use pens that match the color I will embroider with. I am very hesitant to use them on a quilt top for fear they will shadow or reappear. But, my solution is to use Crayola washable markers. I also use Elmer's school glue to make quilt sandwiches. I always wash my quilts and it all comes out. I have never had a bad experience with these products.

Blog Entries
    Very interesting reading all the different comments. I'm still confused about them being the best form of marking. Some people say. My latest quilt, the delft on I'm marking only in blue because I'm using 3 blue fabrics.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I did a test and washing came out for me and stuck in freezer no lines, if not washed lines came back
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I tried it on a test piece and the lines came back once they got cold even after the wash. Not sure I would ever use them.

Cindy Needham swears by them but she gives a disclaimer: She ONLY uses them on her own quilts. Sometimes the pen can leave a faint shadow line, so always pre-test. She only uses black and blue as she's had problems with the red and orange. She also recommends marking them so you can easily distinguish them from a regular pen.

I was constantly frustrated, before discovering these pens, trying to mark with chalk or pencil or . . ? I did have trouble with the orange and pink pens, that the marks did not come completely out, but the blue and back are simply marvelous! Sharp, clear markings that disappear with a steam iron.

i read on another forum that if you was in synthrapol the marks come out. I haven't tried it myself, though

I use these pens all the time and find that, if I hover a steam iron over them, they disappear, not to return.

I live in new england and I use the pens all the time. It gets very cold here and I cart quilts all the time to my friends house and I've never had a line reappear after I ironed it out

Blog Entries
    I ran my own test a couple of years ago. I took about 15 different fabrics and tested the frixion pen on them. I scribbled on them, ironed them them threw them in the washer and dryer. Then I placed them in the freezer. the lines came back faintly on some of them. I re-washed them and put them in the freezer none of the marks came back. I have had the the pen leave a faint line that almost looks like it is lightly bleached after ironing on some darker blues. So far it has always washed out for me.
    I have played a little bit with the frixion highlighters. So far I love them for marking multicolor quilts. The will show up on dark and light colors. So far I have had good success. I always test any makking pens I use on scraps before I use it all over a quilt.
    Years ago I heavily marked a wall hanging with one of those blue markers that come out with water and had a terrible time getting it out. Lesson learned! Test on scraps first.

Thumbs up Frixion Pen

Quote Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
    I ran my own test a couple of years ago. I took about 15 different fabrics and tested the frixion pen on them. I scribbled on them, ironed them them threw them in the washer and dryer. Then I placed them in the freezer. the lines came back faintly on some of them. I re-washed them and put them in the freezer none of the marks came back. I have had the the pen leave a faint line that almost looks like it is lightly bleached after ironing on some darker blues. So far it has always washed out for me.
    I have played a little bit with the frixion highlighters. So far I love them for marking multicolor quilts. The will show up on dark and light colors. So far I have had good success. I always test any makking pens I use on scraps before I use it all over a quilt.
    Years ago I heavily marked a wall hanging with one of those blue markers that come out with water and had a terrible time getting it out. Lesson learned! Test on scraps first.
    I am in the "have one but don't use" crowd. After reading all the pros and cons on this board and others who have used the pen, I just don't think I want to take the chance. The blue water soluble pen works just fine for me. After marking all over my quilt top for quilting and after the quilt is finished, I simply put it into the washer with cold water and let it soak for at least 20 minutes...DO NOT ADD SOAP during the soaking session...then wash as usual. The blue ALWAYS disappears to never return again. Love the blue pen for marking.

I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts View Post
    I have used them but only for making lines on the back of my fabrics so if the lines do return it really shouldn't matter. I really like using it but due to conversations about the lines returning I'm scared to use them on my tops.
    I love them but like Ariannaquilts I just use where willnot be seen or is cut away later.

Blog Entries
    I use these pens all the time, instead of an iron I use a hairdryer that way it does not "flatten" the quilting.
    Aussie Carol

i use them all the time, too! Love them. The shadows on darker fabrics go away once it's been washed.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

I am going to do a test today....i believe the key is ironing it before washing...but I am going to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
    I don't trust them, personally. They weren't designed for fabric use, and so I don't know what chemicals are in that ink and what they do to cotton fiber over time.

I have another problem with them aside from that concern: I tried using them anyway just to see how they did and apparently I draw my lines really fast - the friction of the pen tip running over the fabric vanishes the lines on me as soon as I draw them! LOL

I had bought a 3-pack; I took them all to work and use them there. Handy in meetings when people are being wishy-washy and changing their mind on me, I can sigh and dramatically erase stuff I had just written down. LOL
    Several quilt shops sell them. I like them. They do come out after you wash them.

once I used one and it left a white line on my fabric.... and I could iron it out..... it only happened once, so maybe it was the fabric... I usually pre test before marking a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    Friction creates heat so the marks have to have friction to go away. Tumbling in a hot dryer will work.

I use them. The gel washes out just like any other marking pens you use. I washed a sample after ironing and the marks did not re appear in the cold freezer. The sample I did not wash the marks came back. I trust them more then I trust the disappearing marking pens or the blue wash out pen which can be set permanently with heat. And I don't care if my quilts don't last for generations. They can make their own. LOL
    I am in 100 percent agreement with you. I have used them on an appliqued center medallion for a quilt that measured 120' x 120'. It did not get washed after it was quilted and the marks disappeared when pressed with a hot iron. The chances that it will ever be in a situation where the temp is below 40 degrees are slim to none. I have used Frixion pens on much smaller items and have had no problem with them. My quilts will last longer than I will and what happens to them after that will be somebody else's problem. froggyintexas

Betcha different detergents were used by some. Could that possibly be a variable? I wonder!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast