Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
front and back ? >

front and back ?

front and back ?

Old 02-10-2011, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

never.
well i guess i shouldn't say it that way...but the backing is always very different than the top...but they do (coordinate) but with my quilts you can flip it over on the bed for a change of scenery...each side is beautiful...and different
Old 02-10-2011, 10:23 AM

i put complement fabric or whatever I want...
Old 02-11-2011, 01:44 AM

didn't know they had to match. I usually use darker or busier fabrics for backing as my quilting still isn't hat great.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:27 AM

My story is a group that wouldn't pay the part of postage for a box of fabric because some of the fabric were blends and they only used cotton. Now this was a group in south Florida. So they paid only for the portion that was cotton. They didn't get any more fabric from me.[/quote]

They wouldn't have received any more from me either. How ungrateful. True quilt snobs. I had a lady in a quilt shop ask me if I'd like some bags of fabric after my girlfriend told her I made charity quilts. I said "that would be terrific, thank you." Well we couldn't believe the bags that kept coming. While there were some fabrics that were suitable for quilting a lot of it was more suited to ladies blouses or little girl's dresses. My friend did make one quilt but the fabric was very hard to work with.
We hung onto it for a while then heard of another friend from quiltshop classes who was making little tops for premmie babies to wear while in the incubators. She was so pleased when we offered her all this light weight fabric.
When something is a donation and all you are asking is they pay postage how could they be so nit picky. Sorry you struck such ingrates.
Happy Quilting
Old 02-11-2011, 02:42 AM

To reply to the original post:- I don't worry about matching but do try to coordinate. I always make the binding to either match or compliment the front. For scrappy quilts I've pieced the backs and if I don't have enough fabric I'll try to add something that goes with it.
A friend has a lovely idea which is easier on her bank balance as she is a widow on a fixed income. She takes what you call muslin but we call calico and embroiders Redwork randomly over it. Great for kids quilts as it's an extra surprise. Not always red either.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:30 AM

I'm afraid I'm one that always has a matching or complementary fabric on the back. I make a lot of large throw sized quilts and I like it that way so that if it's draped over the couch or something, both sides go together. The only exception is that I use muslin on the back of wall hangings. I figure no one will be seeing the back.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:56 AM

depends on if it will always be on a bed or more of a lap or baby quilt
Old 02-11-2011, 05:38 AM

Just finished up an Amish block quilt and it was just black with other tone on tones. The backing fabric could not be so tame for me so while on retreat I found a lively floral that's background was black but all of the colors used in the front blocks was represented in the flowers (reminded me of some 60's prints). Can't wait till tonight when I turn it in at the guild meeting.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

I guess it's a personal choice. Mine match sometimes, and sometimes I use something very different. Depends on what/who the quilt is for.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:25 AM

Since I am trying to use up some of my fabric stash, I am not as particular as I used to be. Now I just look for something in the same color family and what will co-ordinate with the binding