Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Front load HE washer and quilts

I have a new front load HE washer and wondered if any of you have washed your quilts in this type of washer and if you have had problems. I always washed them in my top loader by filling with water and distributing the quilt soap before putting the quilt in. Since the new washer uses such a small amount of water and you are only supposed to use HE detergent, I need direction! Help please!

I have used mine to wash quilts. Works great because there is no way to put the machine off balance. I use the gentle cycle and cold water.

I use mine also. Normal wash ans normal he soap. Works fine for me. Do use a color catcher though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by athomenow
    I have used mine to wash quilts. Works great because there is no way to put the machine off balance. I use the gentle cycle and cold water.
    Same here - no problems! Just washed a K sized!

No problems washing mine I do use the gentle cycle (hand wash).

What kind of detergent are you all using?

Blog Entries
    i didn't realize that not going off balance was possible with that type of machine

I only use liquid detergent in my front loader. Also, I use less than what the bottle says bcause of the low water. I wash quilts and everything else my family throws at me with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by kquilt53
    What kind of detergent are you all using?
    I make my own.

No problems using front loader washer. Just wash was as usual. Adding about 1/4 cup or little more, of white vinegar to rinse water insures no soap left in quilt.

Blog Entries
    One thing you want to be careful of with a front loader is washing a quilt that might bleed. When there is very little water, the bleed is concentrated in what little water there is. In a washer with a lot of water, a small bleed is diluted so much it doesn't stain anything.

Someone did this awhile back on the QB -- washed her new quilt in a front loader and many of the reds bled. Fortunately she was able to re-wash it in Synthrapol in a large bathtub with lots of water. Synthrapol in combination with lots of hot water lifted out all the bleeds. The problem could have been avoided by initially washing with Synthrapol in a machine that uses a lot of water.

Once bleeding is no longer an issue, a front loader is fine for quilts. Also, large laundromat front loaders probably use enough water to be okay for a first-time wash. When using a top-loader, it's important to not allow the machine to agitate; stop the machine, hand agitate by pushing up and down, then advance the knob to spin.

Blog Entries
    I have a front loader..just throw it in and I use the one that says hand wash. I use Tide and a color catcher.

My front load washer calls for using an HE detergent.

Quote Originally Posted by athomenow
    Same here and I use Woolite HE which is a lot more gentle than regular detergents.

Synthrapol works fine in front loader. Do an extra rinse.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    i didn't realize that not going off balance was possible with that type of machine
    Some have VRT (vibration reduction technology) It really self-corrects quickly if a load goes off balance.

Throw them in with other stuff. Never a problem. I use cold wash for everything anyway.. Always use HE detergent.

Thanks for all the input everyone! I never use real "detergent" on my quilts as they can actually begin the bleeding process. I will try to mix up a more liquid version of my quilt soap and try that...will let you all know if the results later!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kquilt53
    Thanks for all the input everyone! I never use real "detergent" on my quilts as they can actually begin the bleeding process. I will try to mix up a more liquid version of my quilt soap and try that...will let you all know if the results later!
    Woolite makes an HE version!

I've used my front loader often and never had a problem. I do use color catchers if I think there is a possibility they might bleed. The one thing I have found is they do not do a good job with raggy quilts. They just don't agitate them enough to fray them the way we like.

Great news, the quilt is done and looks great. I watered down a little quilt soap (Orvus) and used that in the detergent cup. Then dried it for about 15 minutes on low. Quilt is now finishing drying over my upstairs bannister.

No problems here! Actually it's MUCH BETTER than a top loading wash machine! My previous model started eating clothes (catching them under the agitator)! You will love it! I use normal detergent usually. For a delicate quilt I would use Wool-lite with borax (if I'm looking for whitening).