Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Frustrated with ironing my quilt any tips? >

Frustrated with ironing my quilt any tips?

Frustrated with ironing my quilt any tips?

Old 01-01-2010, 03:12 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Damkina
My appologies for jumping in on your conversation, but I'm suddenly confused with your comments on ironing your quilts.

I was told that you never iron a quilt, but obviously this isn't the case. Could I ask if the quilt looks better after ironing... any pros and cons. Do they 'fluff' back up at all?

Thank you
Joanne
if you use a low-loft batting, and want to make the quilt look "new", pressing will help a lot - especially if you use spray starch. they'll usually puff up again as soon as you start using them, or after the next wash.

whether or not a pressed quilt looks "better" is purely a matter of opinion. i like them both ways.

i can tell you, from personal experience, that leaving it "puffed" will hide lots of gafarbles and crooked lines. :lol:
Old 01-01-2010, 07:52 AM

lay it on a sheet on the floor over your carpet. you can even safety pin it down to keep it square :)
(I also have a mini board)
Old 01-01-2010, 08:32 AM

I may be wrong but I thought she meant her TOP, because I know she was looking for someone to longarm it for her. If I pressed my quilt after it was quilted it would have lots of wrinkles because I get the old fashioned look after mine are washed. Just thought of something, I have that "old fashioned" look myself! :cry:
Old 01-01-2010, 08:41 AM

Long arm quilters usually want you to press the top so that they don't quilt in any wrinkles. I throw a blanket over my cutting table and iron there. I do remove the cutting mats though so they don't warp.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
Originally Posted by Damkina
My appologies for jumping in on your conversation, but I'm suddenly confused with your comments on ironing your quilts.

I was told that you never iron a quilt, but obviously this isn't the case. Could I ask if the quilt looks better after ironing... any pros and cons. Do they 'fluff' back up at all?

Thank you
Joanne
if you use a low-loft batting, and want to make the quilt look "new", pressing will help a lot - especially if you use spray starch. they'll usually puff up again as soon as you start using them, or after the next wash.

whether or not a pressed quilt looks "better" is purely a matter of opinion. i like them both ways.

i can tell you, from personal experience, that leaving it "puffed" will hide lots of gafarbles and crooked lines. :lol:
Thanks so much... I'm still not quite sure if I will iron my quilts, I might try it on something small first, but it's worth knowing for a future date. :thumbup:
Old 01-01-2010, 10:31 AM

Since you are shipping the quilt, just make sure that your seams are pressed. If you press your seams as you go, you should only have a few where you have to wrestle with the whole quilt.

I won't speak for all the LAers here, but for me, when a quilt is shipped to me, I will take the time to iron out any packaging creases.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by momto4
It is wood. Ok I will try that. It is just so frustrating when it doesnt work how you want it to! lol Thank you for the tip. I dont know why I didnt think of that!
I have an old quilt I use as a table pad for ironing.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:08 AM

I press with Best Press as I piece.
My long arm lady says that the set up on her machine will pull/stretch the wrinkles (if any) out of the quilt before she starts her machine.

My quilts don't look like they need pressing....perhaps the Best Press helps.....Di in TX
Old 01-02-2010, 09:25 AM

I got a piece of plywood the size I wanted. I had my husband attach strips of wood to the back size so it would fit on my ironing board and not slip off. I then took cotton batting and covered the board. I found a tightly woven fabric from the discount bins at the fabric store and covered the whole thing. With my husbands help, we stapled the batting and cloth to the back of the board. Now when I want to use it I just put it on top of my ironing board and go to work. I can stand it on end when I am not using it as an ironing board and pin blocks to it as a layout help. It is not expensive and easy to use.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:16 AM

I would add, if you use the bed, make sure you don't have one of those mattress covers that is a fiber product... :oops: know from experience how fast they melt!
I agree with ironing a quilt but I only use the weight of the iron on un-batted stuff...I go over the seams with just the point of the iron and steam, after they're batted, so I don't flatten out the pouffiness.