Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Frustrated - ready to give up fmq >

Frustrated - ready to give up fmq

Frustrated - ready to give up fmq

Old 11-09-2015, 02:49 PM

Free motion..... You love it or hate it. Why do you think there are so many longarmers in business?! A few things that might help. Thread shreds because it's not moving through the needle properly. It's either too big or too small. So start with a basic quilt set up. Needle: 90/14 universal Thread: cotton 50 weight Batting: low loft!!!! Quilt top: good fabric Foot: name brand made for your machine. Don't buy third party feet. If you have a Janome buy a foot made by Janome. Use good materials. Don't think because you're a beginner you shop in the dollar bin. Bad material make bad product. And finally, and this is the hardest one to hear, FMQ is one of the most stressful things you can do to your machine. They don't all handle it well. I live to FMQ but it's one of those things that you material and your machine make all the difference. Good luck and if you love it don't give up
Old 11-11-2015, 08:55 PM

Wow this is such a timely posting. I like you avoided free motion quilting. Whenever I would attempt it the back was all laddered and looked terrible. Then several weeks fmq was brought up and several many members gave some tips. I thought I must try again. I am proud to say I have just completed fmq a lap quilt. It turned out pretty well. I would post a picture, but it is in the washing machine. I also used Elmer school glue basting my quilt so I need to wash it out. Elmer school glue for basting is another tip I learned from this board. So here are the methods for fmq that work fro me. Before you begin. Pracitice and practice drawing the pattern you want to use. I used a pen and the Sunday paper. You need to imprint the pattern in your brain. (Or at least I needed to). The I did the following; 1. Use a 90/14 needle. 2. Use ths same colour thread in the bobbin as the top. 3. Spray baste, or use Elmer school glue to baste your quilt. 4.DON'T DROP YOUR FEED DOGS. BUT DO USE YOUR HOPPING DARNING FOOT. I tried using both methods, but dropping the feed dogs didn't give me the control I needed.
5. Practice, Practice, practice.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:30 PM

I find a glass of wine helps me to relax and improves my free motion.