Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Frustration with quilt kit

  1. #1
    Super Member Rachelcb80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Raleigh, MS
    Posts
    1,057
    I bought a quilt kit last month and just got started on it today. I'm rather unhappy with the kit to say the least. The pattern calls for one layer cake (42 10" squares) and then tells you to take out the solid cream square, and one other light square of your choice, leaving you with 40 squares for the pattern. Well the kit comes with only 40 squares, one of them being the solid cream. The quilt's background is various creams so you don't use the solid cream square or it will blend in and your block will look wrong. But if I don't use the solid cream square I only have 39 squares and I'm one short.

    The 10" squares the kit came with aren't from an actual layer cake, they're just some that the seller cut. And they didn't cut them very well because some of them are off by 1/8". Not much I know but I can't get all my cuts correct if I'm not starting with the correct size fabric.

    I've emailed the seller asking for another 10" square of a darker color. Hopefully she'll feel responsible to send me one or else I'm gonna have to spend more than I already have to get a fat quarter or some smaller cut of one of the fabrics. I think I've officially decided kits aren't for me though. :)

  2. #2
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,668
    Blog Entries
    194
    that is terrible, I hope you get it taken care of

  3. #3
    Power Poster CarrieAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Whitewater, WI
    Posts
    26,046
    Aw, that kind of stinks...hopefully she will do the right thing and send you another sqaure!

  4. #4
    Super Member Quilter7x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    north east
    Posts
    8,531
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rachel, most kits are fine, this is just the exception. Hopefully the seller will send you a square with no questions asked and I really hope you finish it so we can all see it! :D

  5. #5
    Super Member quiltingfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Posts
    1,042
    Blog Entries
    1
    Never tried a kit before maybe i wont..

  6. #6
    Super Member sweet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    playing with fabric in Louisiana
    Posts
    3,374
    Bummer. I recently ordered a complex kit and there are alot of notes about cutting exactly because there is no extra fabric. So I ordered some extra fabric - just in case! I just hope that I can get through it before the line goes away!

    I'd suggest picking up a few FQ or half yard cuts that coordinate, that way you can make a pillow or tote to go with your bag!

  7. #7
    Super Member Eddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    3,078
    Hi Rachel,

    Is the fabric in the kit from a specific fabric collection? If so, maybe someone here on the QB can send you a 10" square from their stash. I'll be glad to if I have the collection or something very similar. Can you post a pic of the squares you have?

  8. #8
    Super Member EasyPeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,665
    Can you adjust the needle position on your machine to accommodate for the 1/8"?Hope you'll get a positive response from the supplier.

  9. #9
    Super Member beachlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    6,753
    Hope the seller gives you some satifaction. I have only bought once on ebay and was happy, but it wasn't a kit.

  10. #10
    Super Member Rachelcb80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Raleigh, MS
    Posts
    1,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    Hi Rachel,

    Is the fabric in the kit from a specific fabric collection? If so, maybe someone here on the QB can send you a 10" square from their stash. I'll be glad to if I have the collection or something very similar. Can you post a pic of the squares you have?
    Hi Eddie,

    All the fabric in this quilt is from the Patisserie collection from Fig Tree Quilts. I don't think the collection is too old so I should be able to find one extra piece without much trouble. I'm not picky about which piece I get, I just need one with more contrast than the cream provides.

    Here's a link to the fabrics; http://www.figtreequilts.com/images/...Patisserie.pdf I just noticed at the bottom it says March of '09 so I guess it is a little on the older side.

  11. #11
    Super Member GrammaNan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    4,935
    I am sorry about the struggle with the kit. I have only purchased two quilt kits and they were both complete. I hope that your situation is truly an exception and the you get what you need and quickly.

  12. #12
    Super Member Eddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    3,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    Hi Rachel,

    Is the fabric in the kit from a specific fabric collection? If so, maybe someone here on the QB can send you a 10" square from their stash. I'll be glad to if I have the collection or something very similar. Can you post a pic of the squares you have?
    Hi Eddie,

    All the fabric in this quilt is from the Patisserie collection from Fig Tree Quilts. I don't think the collection is too old so I should be able to find one extra piece without much trouble. I'm not picky about which piece I get, I just need one with more contrast than the cream provides.

    Here's a link to the fabrics; http://www.figtreequilts.com/images/...Patisserie.pdf I just noticed at the bottom it says March of '09 so I guess it is a little on the older side.
    I do have a layer cake of that collection! :D (Yes, I realize this probably speaks volumes about how I have TOO MUCH fabric, LOL!) Is there a particular one of the fabrics you'd like? Just tell me the fabric number + name and I'll be glad to pull it out and send it to you. I have SO MUCH fabric that I know I'll never miss this one square, LOL! :D

  13. #13
    Super Member knlsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West central Illinois
    Posts
    2,973
    I have heard others having problems with kits. I haven't had any yet (knock on wood). i will say that when i buy a kit from a quilt shop, I ask if I can take it apart so i can look at all the pieces. This gives me a chance to make sure I understand what fabric they have assigned for each step. I can also get a good idea if there is enough fabric. This helped me with my flannel quilt i did awhile back, there was actually half a yard of flannel missing, so the shop fixed it and went thru there other kits to make sure they weren't short either.

  14. #14
    Super Member Rachelcb80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Raleigh, MS
    Posts
    1,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    Hi Rachel,

    Is the fabric in the kit from a specific fabric collection? If so, maybe someone here on the QB can send you a 10" square from their stash. I'll be glad to if I have the collection or something very similar. Can you post a pic of the squares you have?
    Hi Eddie,

    All the fabric in this quilt is from the Patisserie collection from Fig Tree Quilts. I don't think the collection is too old so I should be able to find one extra piece without much trouble. I'm not picky about which piece I get, I just need one with more contrast than the cream provides.

    Here's a link to the fabrics; http://www.figtreequilts.com/images/...Patisserie.pdf I just noticed at the bottom it says March of '09 so I guess it is a little on the older side.
    I do have a layer cake of that collection! :D (Yes, I realize this probably speaks volumes about how I have TOO MUCH fabric, LOL!) Is there a particular one of the fabrics you'd like? Just tell me the fabric number + name and I'll be glad to pull it out and send it to you. I have SO MUCH fabric that I know I'll never miss this one square, LOL! :D
    Omigosh Eddie, you DO have too much fabric!! :D Are you sure you want to pull a square out of your layer cake and have an incomplete collection? Let me see if the seller contacts me back in the next day or so before I ask you to take from your stash. If I do have to ask you for a square I'd say for you to pick out your least favorite one and send me. And I'd send you this extra one I have in return. That way you'd still have 42 squares, just a repeat of one. But again, let me see if the seller comes through first. Thank you so much for the offer!

  15. #15
    Super Member roseOfsharon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    4,505
    Blog Entries
    3
    awww, such a sweet guy that Eddie is! I hope it works out for you rachel.

  16. #16
    Super Member Eddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    3,078
    Ok, Rachel, just let me know, I'll be happy to do it! :D

  17. #17
    Super Member Fiber Artist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Colorful Colorado
    Posts
    2,005
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    Ok, Rachel, just let me know, I'll be happy to do it! :D
    Just goes to show how kind hearted quilters are!!!

  18. #18
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    You are such a sweetie Eddie :D:D:D
    I am sorry your first experience with a kit was disappointing...

  19. #19
    Super Member knlsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West central Illinois
    Posts
    2,973
    You rock Eddie! Lol. That's what my daughter would say. ;)

  20. #20
    Super Member Rachelcb80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Raleigh, MS
    Posts
    1,057
    The seller contacted me back yesterday and was very appologetic. She did say that she had sold 7 or 8 of these kits and not had this complaint before. I guess others weren't as worried about making it correctly, but I am. :P She offered to let me pick out whichever fabric I wanted a square of but I told her to just pick one of the darker colors, I wasn't picky.

    So thank you so much again Eddie. Your offer was beyond kind! For future reference though, I know the first person I'm asking if I'm looking for a specific fabric! :D

  21. #21
    Super Member Eddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    3,078
    Yea! Glad to hear that the seller came through for you! That's always good! :)

    And yes, if you need anything specific in the future, let me know and I'll check my warehouse, LOL! :D

  22. #22
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,958
    I'm glad the seller fixed your problem and Eddie, you are a wonderful person. Right there and ready to help. The world needs more people like you.

  23. #23
    Super Member gzuslivz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington
    Posts
    1,473
    I have ordered several kits and have not had that problem before. So, don't give up on kits. Sometimes we just don't want to select fabric and want someone else to do it for us. Btw, Eddie is the reason I joined this message board. I saw one of his tutorials and was SO impressed that I looked around and fell in love! What can I say? You folks are the greatest!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.