Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Fudging/compensating/adapting/ignoring the pattern

Power Poster

Fudging/compensating/adapting/ignoring the pattern

One of the advantages to having some experience with almost any hobby is knowing when something 'really matters' - and when 'oh, well' - will do

One place I've learned where 'to ignore the pattern'

Sash and border lengths - wait until the center is sewn before cutting them. I've seen patterns that say something like: cut border strips 3 x 60-5/8 inches - I've learned that it is a good idea to set aside that fabric - but I would set aside 65 inches for the length - and I would measure what the center of MY project was before cutting anything.

When a pattern says to cut strips WOF(width of fabric) - I prefer to make the first cuts LOF (length of fabric) - and I've learned how to compensate for the yardage given for WOF

Rail fence units can be trimmed to all the same size - so can four patch units - and pinwheel units

I've also learned that in some cases - accuracy and/or consistency in making the units really does matter -

Fudging/compensating/adapting/ignoring the pattern---------hey, that's my middle name!
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I'm with you on the borders - never cut them ahead of time, because depending on your 1/4" seams they may not be the length they're supposed to be.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

I don't cut borders until I get to them either, especially if I'm piecing outside borders, I wait to insert the inside borders until the pieced borders are completed so I can ensure they are a perfect fit.

Great advice, bearisgray. BTW, I love your ID.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Yay, Bearisgray!!
    I hereby announce "FudCAI" as a true and accepted acronym for the Quilting Board!!

Jan in VA

(fudging/compensating/adapting/ignoring)
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Power Poster
    fud-com-ad-ig-the-pat

Sounds kind of naughty!
    Might be kind of long-winded thing to say when things are going badly!?

The most important lesson we all eventually learn about quilting or any kind of sewing is that fabric is not a stable medium. Precutting everything before you start to sew is often a "BIG" mistake. Everyone's definition of 1/4 inch varies. Something always goes wrong. I always purchase more fabric than I need. Don't expect perfection. Be happy if it is completed in a reasonable amount of time with no glaring mistakes.

Blog Entries
    What Pattern???LOL

I do think that if my patterns could talk their favorite term would be "recalculating" just like my Garmin. I want to know the end destination and which direction it is, I do not want someone directing every step.

I have decided that from now on, I am going to cut the outside pieces (all sides) a bit larger because when it comes time to square up the entire quilt, it never fails that one corner or section is just a smidge smaller which then results in a trim everywhere else to make it all square.

I am going to call the "fudge factor" LOL
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Jbug View Post
    I do think that if my patterns could talk their favorite term would be "recalculating" just like my Garmin. I want to know the end destination and which direction it is, I do not want someone directing every step.

If my sewing machine and fabric were a hard headed as my Garmin, I'd be finding another hobby. I live a mile off a county road that was a state road when I was a kid. Now the state road with the same number as the old road is a bit over a mile west.

Just for fun, to see if Rosey (Garmin) has given in any, I turn it on to go home after stopping at my favorite grocery. If I drive 8 miles south of the grocery on the county road and then turn one mile east on my road she goes insane. "turn left at A" and I keep going straight. then same thing with the next west bound road, then the next. She's trying to get me over to the new state road, but when I'm at MY road, I'm also a bit over a mile too far west.

And she does not pronounce German names correctly. There are lots of roads with German names since so many of our ancestors came from Germany 150+ years ago. I've settled on laughing at her, instead of cussing her most of the time.
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by nanacc View Post
    What Pattern???LOL
    I'm with you. I make quilts from patterns the I can handle-----------from pictures, not from patterns.
    U N T I E

Gosh,yes, I agree with you! I bought a quilting book and after reading it,thought to myself,why make individual squares and then sew them together to make a 4 patch. Why not make strip sets and do it the fast and easy way. Some authors of quilting books stipulate using tedious instructions,rather than using fast,easy ways to accomplish the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by quilter2090 View Post
    Gosh,yes, I agree with you! I bought a quilting book and after reading it,thought to myself,why make individual squares and then sew them together to make a 4 patch. Why not make strip sets and do it the fast and easy way. Some authors of quilting books stipulate using tedious instructions,rather than using fast,easy ways to accomplish the same thing.

If there's an easier way to do something, I'll spend 4 hours trying to shorten the "to do" time to one hour. I think it's the challenge I like best.
    U N T I E

I mostly use patterns for inspiration rather than try to follow them step-by-step. Especially when I can figure out a better way to put a block together than what's shown. Pattern-makers are only human - I treat patterns as "A" way to do something, rather than "THE" way to do it.

Quiltingvagabond that is a really good idea for the outside borders! Thanks for the tip! I've found the measuring and then cutting borders is very important for helping keep things flat and more square, especially for wall hangings.

Love your description of the driving instructions! I had a similar experience with a GPS system telling me to go a block down the street to get to my house when I was parked in my driveway. Lol!
    And I'm not too much on following instructions for sewing or quilting either. Do look at them if I'm having a problem to see if there was easier way to do it than what I tried.

I recall saying to my best friend about a very colorful quilt, "I did so much fudging with these borders I expected all the fabric to turn brown." Ironically (to me), when I posted the pics here and did not reveal the same comment, almost everyone commented that they just Loved the unique borders most of all!
    "He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

I thought it was just my inexperience! I used a book to make my first quilt (which took me 2 years) that had many errors in it. The people at the LQS finally admitted the book had errors. I thought I just wasn't cut out to quilt until I learned that. Now I just try to do simple things and most likely will never use a patten in a book again... and now I just "wing" it!!

Love the GPS stories. My experience has been. When in a much traveled area they're pretty accurate, but common sense is still necessary. Where I live they're useless. The ID of the streets on street signs doesn't match the GPS. One street sign says Rd. 221, GPS says Crane Valley Road. Unless you already knew a lot about the area (in which case you probably don't need GPS), you'd never find Crane Valley Road.

Just a little saying I heard, "The difference between intermediate and advanced is the fudge factor." Sounds like there's a lot of advanced quilters on QB.

Blog Entries
    Ladies I was always saying these words so my avatar. Fudge and fraya .not sure compensating sounds right for he next puppy.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbug View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking. Never liked the teacher to "hover" over my work in school, still don't.
    To make lots of quilts, is to have lots of scraps, and I do, and I do.
    BarbaraSue