Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fun and Done

Blog Entries

Fun and Done

I hadn't seen this method of quilt as you go. It looks intriquing to me, but I'm afraid I'd sew it all by machine.
    http://www.ludlowquiltandsew.co.uk/Q...ou_Go_Fun.html

I like this website - I get a monthly email. The directions to her Jewel Box were very helpful, though I will cut the squares for any HSTs a little larger and then cut them to fit. She uses a little too small a measurement for me.

There is a method called Fun and Done which is all machine stitched. I've used it and it is fun and then you are done.

I want to try one of these. I think it would be good to practice my FMQ on my domestic as it is pretty bad right now when I struggle with a full quilt.
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    Go to baysidequilting.com. Scroll down a bit til you see Fun And Done video. This is the real F&D

I have a friend who bought the Fun and Done ruler/templates at the last quilt show we went to together. She made up a small runner out of it. I don't think she was overly impressed with it to be honest with you. She didn't seem all too thrilled about it when she was done. Her blocks did not come out evenly lined up and I think it frustrated her a bit. She didn't say much about it.
    I'm going to borrow her templates after I move and give it a go... sadly I won't be able to give you any real feedback about it for at least a month. I will be very backlogged with projects after we move next week.

I have done several Fun and Done quilts - they are great. Table runners - lap quilts and baby quilts are especially nice because when I give such a gift to a person - I want them to use it. They finish nicely and I think make a great utility quilt, and the ruler/templates are very helpful. I will say that you need to be careful with your seam allowances - keep them consistent - and the blocks should match very well. I hope you give these quilt patterns another try.
    Good Luck
    Sue

This is how I quilt all my bigger quilts, as I have a sewing machine with a small "throat" area. It just makes all my patterns have "sashing" between the blocks. I LOVE this method!
    Loretta Sewhappytoquilt

Ive done one Fun and Done quilt. It is not as soft as a regular quilt. The main problem with it is you are using the backing as sashing. You cut the backing larger than the batting and the block. Then you connect two blocks togather by sewing the backing of the two blocks togather. Now getting this seam close to the blocks can be hard since it is against the thickness of the two blocks. Also this is the only seam holding the blocks togather so make it with small stitches, mine are pulling apart in spots. You end by sewing the backing to the side of each block making a 1/4 in seam.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rose Marie; 11-30-2011 at 04:42 AM.

Rose Marie - that is good to know about the stitches falling apart. That scares me a lot. I would really feel terrible if I gave it away to someone and it started to come apart. It is such a neat idea though. The picture you posted is really pretty

Blog Entries
    Yours really is a pretty quilt. I bought the templates too, but many around here call it "Fun WHEN Done". That scares me!
    Every Sunrise brings a blessing

Beautiful quilt. I am too chicken to try this though. Maybe in the future sometime...

I have done a few projects with my quilt group in this method. I personally don't like all the seams showing on the front. Also, when it takes four pieces to make one large square, it is very difficult to line up all the pieces from 4 quarters. Once they are stitched, you can't fix. I did it again with the same pattern, but added all the regular sewing allowances. Then I quilted it as we know how. I liked it much better, because it is smoother, not so heavy. It was fun learning, but it is not for me. By the way, I think the quilt in the picture above was well done. I only did small items. Maybe that was the problem
    Last edited by Freddie; 11-30-2011 at 03:37 PM. Reason: forgot something

Blog Entries
    that is evidently how i made my Hawaiian quilt. didn't know it had a name/method.
    for no seams showing on the front, you would just have to remember to make your front blocks larger so you would have more of a seam and sew them toward the back. i am going to try that soon myself.it would mean a stitching line on the front showing however. not sure about that.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

I tried the fun and done method and was not successful at all. I gave the quilt away to good will. Hope it found a good home.

My Experience

I too bought the tool at the quilt show in Houston and love it. I made a crib size quilt for Project Linus just as a practice and it was easy and great and fun to do. I am attaching a picture of my quilt. I am currently working on another one where I embroidery the blocks and when they are done, I will put them together.

Cherry in Texas
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just remember to shorten your stitchs when connecting the backings.
    The pattern is called Woven Wonder Quilt. Easy to do and I really like the pattern just changed the color a bit to get two different block colors.

Blog Entries
    There both very pretty!!!Thanks for sharing
    You know if your a quilter when you cleanup your sewing room and your family thinks your moving out!! Author U/K Sue

I think I would go over the seam with a meandering stitch wide enough to catch the batting-that should shore up those seams!
    rntravelerpat

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the links!

I have some finish quilt square samples that I want to make into a quilt. QAYG looks like it has the info I need.

thanks for the link. Very interesting. Your block also
    Joanie Owen

I just looked at the link above. If you actually quilt in the sashing, it would help secure the stitching and keep the seams from coming apart.

Blog Entries
    I took a class for Fun and Done several years ago. It's easy but time consuming. No matter what anyone says, the template ruler makes the method much easier. Ask the my class members that didn't buy the template, they kept borrowing mine and quit using their it will do the same job rulers. It's a great help when cutting the batting away.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries

fun and done

i bought one from bayside. i thought it would be great. i couldnt keep seam allowances straight, thought it was my material, maybe a little slick, so ive tried it 2 more times, diff. material, still cant get straight. i QUIT !!!!

Gosh, I am saddened that some of you had such trouble with the Fun and Done. My experience was very positive and I will be making more. I do think the method can be adapted to regular quilting of blocks, and leave enough for seam allowances for joining.

I have made several quilts with this method. Last year made 4 Christmas throws and they turned out great. I was going to make 3 more this year but lost my enthusiasm Maybe next year my sisters will get theirs.
    For me the trick was trimming and then pinning each block carefully. It was nice when everything went together nicely.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast