Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fun at local quilt show.

Fun at local quilt show.

I was next to a group of six younger ladies, I'd say late 20's. As we were walking down the rows one said why does everyone still make such old fashioned quilts. She was looking a beautiful Baltimore Album type quilt. The others agreed. One said it has too much fabric. LOL. The scrappy quilts got frowns from them too but said it must have taken a long time to make them. Then the modern pattern quilts got them all happy. I would say without asking, no one in their families made quilts.
    But they did come to the show so that's a start.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    I was gonna say, why were they there in the first place? Lol. But you're right, it's a start!

I admire the modern quilts made by the artsy people wishing I could let this old mind expand in that way but it's the scrappy and the traditional quilts that pull me in to look at the details. It will be interesting to see what direction quilting takes in the next 30, 40 or 50 years.

Power Poster
    I bet if someone did a quilt of emojis, they would love that.

It is probably just the new generation that doesn't understand the satisfaction that us quilters get from sewing "old fashion" quilts. Maybe you are right-just going to the quilt show is a start and will give them a jump start on quilting.

Blog Entries
    Well, there's always going to be generation gaps and personal sense of what looks pretty... I guess at just over 50 I am in the 'transition' generation where both modern and traditional are equally beautiful to me. Not every one of either, of course! With any luck they got some sense of quilting history, and were able to admire it from the standpoint of the set of skills it takes to do traditional style quilts.
    *this space for rent*

How fun. I always think it's great to see young people interested in quilts (or antiques in antique malls!). A number of years ago I was worried quilting might fade into the distance because it was pretty much older people doing it.
    Lori

It is a true shame most girls don't even know how to hem a dress much less make a quilt. Many of our schools hardly teach home economics or music any more. How are they to value anything the governing officials don't care about.
    It seems to me that our country is on the brink of a big change. Hopefully they will come to enjoy quilting for the artful expression sake of it.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

I didn't say in the first post but they were there to buy a quilt. Don't know why. One young lady said they wanted a real quilt not one sold in a store. another LOL. They thought all the quilts would be for sale at a quilt show. I suggested they go to the vendors that had quilts in the booths made to sell.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

While I love to look at/admire the talent/work/skills of the maker of more difficult to make quilts, I only love to make easy quilts.

Yes, I have an attention span problem.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Blog Entries
    ha, ha. they wanted to see how the other half lived? oh well, they made it. Quilts stick to you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I didn't say in the first post but they were there to buy a quilt. Don't know why. One young lady said they wanted a real quilt not one sold in a store. another LOL.
    Hey, I give them credit for knowing the difference between the quilts we make and the Chinese imports you can buy for $50. Maybe they have prior experience with the one eighth inch seams shredding and the quilts falling apart in the first wash. A quilter I know has been approached to "fix" one of those disasters, lol. She said, "No can do. There're no seam allowances. You get what you pay for, sorry."

I've only been quilting for a few months... Sewed my whole life thanks to a seamstress grandma and my mother who could rival my grandmother's skills. The quilt that inspired me was in a live auction at a fundraising event in the town next to us. And yes I bought it for far less than I think it's really worth but it is loved in my house :-) You can never beat hand made quality.Name:  IMG_1652 copy.jpeg
Views: 1424
Size:  387.5 KB

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    while they were perhaps less informed than most of us, I think it's great that they were there looking at quilts! While I admire the precision that goes into traditional quilts like a Baltimore Album (and would whole heartedly welcome the gift of one!) I too prefer many of the modern quilts. I think part of that is due to my love of quilting--and the way modern quilts typically have so much "negative space" to quilt away in.

When I first started quilting, I was ‘all about’ the modern quilts. Now that I’ve been quilting for several years, I’ve come to appreciate and love more traditional quilting.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    When I first started quilting, I was ‘all about’ the modern quilts. Now that I’ve been quilting for several years, I’ve come to appreciate and love more traditional quilting.
    For years I wanted to learn how to make a quilt but I just didn't like the "old fashioned " style especially because my home decor was totally modern. Then once I started just like sewbizgirl said I began to love traditional as well as the modern. Here I am 20 plus years and I make whatever design draws me to it.
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

Love the beautiful house quilt! I can appreciate the amount of work that goes into a Baltimore Album, but I have too short of an attention span to make one myself. Currently working on a Hunters Star and after 36 blocks it's starting to wear on me.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Kind of like you can buy just about anything you want but some things are like homemade bread versus store bought bread. Which do you prefer?

And, I remember standing behind ladies at a quilt show in Lancaster, PA in the early '90's who said that machine quilted quilts shouldn't be allowed in the show! Ladies, we have come a long way, haven't we? I, for one, love them all! I always aspire to new things. I hope you are, also.

Blog Entries
    Our daughter lives in Paducah and we go to the big Quilt Show every year. My husband said the first year that he thought the average age of the quilters was about 70. Fast forward to last year and he said that there were much younger ladies there - they had orange or blue or green or fuschia colored hair with tattoos and lots of piercings. Don't know what kinds of quilts they were interested in though - probably the modern ones.
    Nikki in MO

Outstanding, beautiful quilt. Wow!

When I started quilting in the 80's they were mostly traditional but I've evolved since then. I love a lot of the modern designs and have started FMQ. I love it all.

Blog Entries
    Eventually our modern quilts are going to be in the antique category. Would be interesting to hear comments about them

My wife is part of the in between generation - likes some of the modern and also likes many traditional quilts.

We've seen many beautiful examples of both in quilt shows and shops in various states over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
    How fun. I always think it's great to see young people interested in quilts (or antiques in antique malls!). A number of years ago I was worried quilting might fade into the distance because it was pretty much older people doing it.
    How can we encourage these young people to get involved? The youth are the future of quilting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast