Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fun thing I did >

fun thing I did

fun thing I did

Old 07-09-2011, 05:28 AM

I offered to make four of my friends quilts if they bought the fabric, batting, etc. I didn't really think they would all take me up on it, but they did. They said they wanted to buy the fabric before I changed my mind.

I told them I would make any pattern I had already made, or I would make one they found, if it was one I thought I could do. (I have only been quilting 2 years.)

They selected their patterns, and I printed a copy of what they selected and wrote a "recipe" for the quilt on each...how much fabric was needed.

We met for lunch and went to a fabric store afterwards. It was so much fun. Three of my friends are my age (63) and the fourth is 32. (We are all English teachers who taught at the same school. Two of us retired...) My friends had the best time selecting fabric. One, who had just had skin cancer removed from her face, had the biggest smile as she came to the cutting table with her choices. It was like little kids in a candy store.

I now have four projects ready to go. I am not hurrying, and I told each they would have to be patient. But I really can't wait to get started.

This is going to be fun!
Old 07-09-2011, 05:31 AM

Can you not get your retired friends to help with their quilts? I'm sure they would be pround of their input, just as they were when choosing the fabrics. Teachers are good quilters as they follow directions.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:32 AM

What a generous and thoughtful gift!
Old 07-09-2011, 05:34 AM

What a nice thing to do for your friends. I love doing projects too but the one can only have so many quilts of your own and the cost of a complete project runs a little steap. I think your friends will treasure their quilts forever.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:35 AM

Well, they were surprised at how much the fabric and batting cost. :)
Old 07-09-2011, 05:53 AM

Ohh I love doing stuff like that! I did a quilt for my sister exactly that way earlier this year. I had made her a throw-size quilt for Christmas, and she wanted a bed-sized one. I told her it wasn't in the budget because I needed better tools and a book so I could learn to do it "right" and I couldn't afford that stuff at the moment (right after Christmas, you know how it is). She offered to buy the quilt fixins PLUS the tools and books I needed. We went to the fabric store together and had a great time picking out fabrics.

The biggest problem I had? I got so bored making that quilt! :lol: She just wanted a simple four-patch checkerboard pattern, alternating between plain muslin and two prints. It was sooooo not my style, and even though the fabrics looked really nice together, I just couldn't get excited about working on it. I kept plugging away at it, though, because I knew Sis would love it. And she did! When I finished it I invited her over "for dinner," because I "hadn't seen her in a few weeks." Really it was to surprise her with a finished quilt. She walked in the door and I dumped it in her arms, and she was completely thrilled. :)

Have fun making your friends' quilts! They'll be so happy when they finally get the finished product. :)
Old 07-09-2011, 05:55 AM

That does sound like fun and very generous of you. I like the idea of seeing if your retired friends would like to help you. Maybe the quilting world would recruit some new quilters. :D
Old 07-09-2011, 06:02 AM

Sounds like your very helpful, but what about having them over to help and have them bring munchies..............calla
Old 07-09-2011, 06:05 AM

What a good idea... wait till the word spreads around school... you will be signed up for many many more... lol ... have fun!
Old 07-09-2011, 06:07 AM

Great story..and a wonderful thing you are doing..I've been quilting on Wednesday mornings with the same 10 women for 10 years..we have a great time..4 of us are really close..we help each other and shop together..I'm very lucky..they have saved my sanity for years.!!