Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: A funny quilting story...

My gf sent me an email that I had to share. Too funny to keep to myself...

"My co-worker, Laura, went to quilt camp in Park River this weekend. She is a contemporary quilter with exquisite craftsmanship, who always buys expensive, vividly patterned & colored fabrics, and combines them fearlessly. She was working on a hexagonal pattern quilt, when one of the other women approached her.
    Other women said: "Oh! You've got thirties fabrics!"
    Laura said: "Well.......not exactly."
    Other woman replied: "These are your uglies then?"
    After an abrupt moment of silence (the whole room went quiet), Laura just laughed!
    How DO you respond to that?? (Laura's sister was there, and said, "These are from the MODA collection!"
    Just goes to show, one woman's Moda is another woman's Ugly."

Power Poster
    Open mouth, insert foot.

Open mouth again, insert second foot.

(That does present quite a visual - - - - )

That other woman is ignorant and you have to forgive her for that. LOL

Blog Entries
    Think of the poor woman who said it!! Yikes!!

Blog Entries
    Oh NO :oops: :lol: :oops:

Izy
    She'll learn...... :roll: :lol: :D

One size NEVER fits all!

Blog Entries
    I would have responed with "What I paid for them they better be called something!" Giving the other woman a way out gracefully would be the best way to handle the situation and have a laugh too. :D

I guess it just shows we all have different tastes. Thank goodness she could laugh about it.

good one!!!pretty funny when we do not know our fabrics :shock:

Moonpi - I agree with your statement whole heartedly.

Well, I can honestly say that I've seen some Moda fabrics that I'd call "ugly." Some of it just isn't to my taste.

We did an ugly fat quarter exchange at a retreat one year, and I had to go out and buy a fat quarter, because none of MY fabric is ugly. ROFLMAO

As they say, One man's trash is another man's treasure.

I can understand this, though. I asked my daughter to send me some pics of quilts she saw online and liked, and she sent me what I think are the absolute ugliest quilts I have ever seen.

Bummer. And now I gotta make her one. :roll:

Tough luck, motomom. Just keep repeating "I love my daugher, I love my daughter." with every stitch you sew.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder for sure! Good to be able to laugh about it though....but some people would be very wounded.

That's funny! :lol:

:shock: ROFL

My mom and I just returned from a quilt retreat two weekends ago. One of the women was sharing a co-worker story. Her co-worker asked her what she was doing that weekend and she replied, "Going to a quilt retreat." The girl then said, "Oh, is that the thing you do with two sticks?" Some people just have no culture whatsoever...lol!

I am sew glad that different people like different fabrics, otherwise I would not be able to find what I like at a good price!

Quote Originally Posted by Ragann63
    Her co-worker asked her what she was doing that weekend and she replied, "Going to a quilt retreat." The girl then said, "Oh, is that the thing you do with two sticks?" Some people just have no culture whatsoever...lol!
    Does anyone remember (this was a few years back but it sticks in my mind) when a toilet paper company started "quilting" their paper to make it softer (possibly Charmin :?: ) and they had a commercial showing cartoon ladies sitting there "knitting" (with 2 sticks :roll: ) the toilet paper to make it 'quilted'. I remember that it was only a week or so before the company changed the commercial to show the cartoon ladies "quilting" the toilet paper with a needle and thread. I'm sure that they got tons of mail telling them about their mistake...LOL!

Talking about ugly....Years ago when my youngest daughter was a teen, she wanted to buy a dress that was a brown and red of some kind... large floral pattern. We later found a jacket to match!!! I thought the fabric was ugly and not at all colors I'd put together in a fabric. I told her it was UGLY!!!. She decided to try it on anyway. It was a form fitting dress and was stunning on her. We did buy it and called it her 'UGLY DRESS'. I didn't think ugly could turn out pretty, but that dress did on her.

There would not be any variety if we all liked the same fabrics AND variety is the spice of life!!!!!! And it is nice to step outside our own little box sometimes. DD and DGD just keep leading me into the 21st century and sometimes I like that.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragann63
    Her co-worker asked her what she was doing that weekend and she replied, "Going to a quilt retreat." The girl then said, "Oh, is that the thing you do with two sticks?" Some people just have no culture whatsoever...lol!
    Does anyone remember (this was a few years back but it sticks in my mind) when a toilet paper company started "quilting" their paper to make it softer (possibly Charmin :?: ) and they had a commercial showing cartoon ladies sitting there "knitting" (with 2 sticks :roll: ) the toilet paper to make it 'quilted'. I remember that it was only a week or so before the company changed the commercial to show the cartoon ladies "quilting" the toilet paper with a needle and thread. I'm sure that they got tons of mail telling them about their mistake...LOL!
    I think it was Northern - I sure got a chuckle out of that! In a way, I was sorry that they changed it - cuz wen they were using the knitting needles it really got my attention!

I'm thinking the 'ugly' talking woman has a dry sense of humor and maybe didn't mean to offend. Example: she looooves thirties fabrics and was joking that everything else is LESS? I hope so. :roll: