Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fused Lone Star >

fused Lone Star

fused Lone Star

Old 06-02-2011, 10:21 AM

A while back I saw a gorgeous Lone Star, here on the board, that she had fused the diamonds onto a black background - it was so pretty!

I was sure I bookmarked it, but now cannot find it. Sigh...

Anyway, a couple years ago, I was given odds and ends from a garage sale, or something. Included was an old Aunt Martha kit for a Lone Star, instructions and all the diamonds already cut out. It is in bright colors, primary and secondary mainly.

I haven't touched it, becuase I was afraid of sewing on the bias and stretching it - & ruining it. So, it has just sat.

The other day I got thinking that I could put fusible webbing on the back of the diamonds, then fuse them as that talented quilter had done.

But, a few questions:
1- do you think if I was careful lining it up, that I could fuse the diamonds, then just rotary cut them apart easily?
2- with the colors being primary and secondary (red, yellow, blue, purple, orange, green - can't remember what the other 2 are), should I use a black background like a stained glass, or use off-white like a TILE mosaic quilt?
3- do you think it would need "lead" or would an all over or SID quilting do?
Old 06-02-2011, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by grammatjr
A while back I saw a gorgeous Lone Star, here on the board, that she had fused the diamonds onto a black background - it was so pretty!

I recently posted the start of my second quilt - it's a star that I'm doing for a Lakotah friend. Here's a progress picture... If this is the one your thinking of, it's not fused, but strip pieced, then squares and triangles make up the black "background." I'd be glad to share the website where I found the instruction.

The lighting does the colors no justice. When it stops raining, I want to take it outside in the daylight and get better pictures. Plus, it's fuzzy - I was about to fall off the chair.

top so far...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]205596[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-205590.jpe  
Old 06-02-2011, 11:04 AM

Have you thought of using a spray to fuse the fabrics together. Am embarrassed to say this but I use a can spray. I think it is called 505 or something like that. It is excellent. Any fabric shop should have something like this.... sorry stroke did funny things to my memory...
~~~
Originally Posted by grammatjr

Anyway, a couple years ago, I was given odds and ends from a garage sale, or something. Included was an old Aunt Martha kit for a Lone Star, instructions and all the diamonds already cut out. It is in bright colors, primary and secondary mainly.

I haven't touched it, becuase I was afraid of sewing on the bias and stretching it - & ruining it. So, it has just sat.

The other day I got thinking that I could put fusible webbing on the back of the diamonds, then fuse them as that talented quilter had done.

But, a few questions:
1- do you think if I was careful lining it up, that I could fuse the diamonds, then just rotary cut them apart easily?
2- with the colors being primary and secondary (red, yellow, blue, purple, orange, green - can't remember what the other 2 are), should I use a black background like a stained glass, or use off-white like a TILE mosaic quilt?
3- do you think it would need "lead" or would an all over or SID quilting do?
Old 06-02-2011, 03:02 PM
Power Poster

1. Yes, you could carefully line the pieces up on a fusible and then rotary cut them apart. Just be sure to use parchment paper or a teflon-type sheet both underneath and on top so none of the fusible gets on your iron or board. (I think parchment paper on top is best, as it transfers the heat well but no fusible gets through the fabric to make it shiny.)

2. I'd use black (unless you have lots of furbabies in the house, in which case *all* of the fur will be attracted like a magnet to the black). It would be more striking than an off-white background.

3. Depends on the look you want. SID won't work (no ditches). An all-over stipple or meander could work well; I'd probably use a fine variegated thread. However, you would expect some fraying of the edges with washing. Leading would cover all the edges and look great too, but it is a *lot* more work. If you decide on leading, I would consider using MistyFuse as the fusible because it will not add the stiffness that other fusibles do. You might even consider MistyFuse if you do a close stipple or meander.