Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fussy cutting? >

fussy cutting?

fussy cutting?

Old 08-04-2012, 06:54 PM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

I use a rotary cutter and scissors well not at the same time for fussy cutting ..lol
Old 08-05-2012, 05:47 AM

Has anyone here tried these? http://www.benfranklin.com/item/craf...BF00087644-001
Old 08-05-2012, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by mme3924 View Post
I bought some cute chicken fabric and want to cut the chickens out in a 4-1/2" square and make them the center of a block. I tried using a June Tailor 4 1/2 " ruler that I bought for something else and a rotary cutter, but boy, does that little ruler move around, no matter how firmly I hold it. It's maddening. Too, using the rotary cutter is awkward around 4 sides and difficult on corners. So I'm thinking it may be easier to draw around the ruler and cut the squares with scissors. How do the rest of you do it?
This is how I would do it as well. Drawing the square and using scissors.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by teacherbailey View Post
Out of sheer frustration once, I coated the bottom of a ruler with rubber cement, thinking that since it was a little tacky when dry, it would work well. It took under 5 minutes to dry and clings like nothing else!!!! I love it and use it often. It simply DOES NOT MOVE when in place! After many uses, it loses its tackiness due to lint sticking to the cement, so you just rub it off with your finger and re-coat.
Me too!!! I also agree with those who suggested a turntable mat, or just a small mat that has the ironing surface on the other side because it, too, can be easily rotated. You might be able to find a very solid turntable at a thrift store. A lot of people used to have them for TV's before the flat screens came along. That type of turntable can also be coated with rubber cement to keep your mat from sliding around.