Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fussy Cutting >

Fussy Cutting

Fussy Cutting

Old 08-09-2016, 07:20 AM

Check out the Martelli website. I was struggling to center my images thru my plastic rulers--(computing what would be the center, where the seam lines would fall, etc, etc). Took me about 15 minutes to cut out 2--yes two---images. Then I picked up the Martelli window template for the size I wanted, slid it around on the fabric, dropped the corresponding size cutting template into the hole, removed the window template and cut around all 4 sides--zip, zip, zip, zip! In less than 15 minutes I had fuzzy cut 25 squares. Can you sing, "I'm a believer"? LOVE those templates!
Old 08-09-2016, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

The very nature of fussy cutting does create some waste and yes you will more than likely ruin other potential fussy cut pictures on the fabric in the process of getting one, due to proxmity and need for a seam allowance.

There is no reason not to cut your fabric down to a manageable size. Also you can make rough cuts with scissors so you can better manipulate how you cut out your fussy cut images. Cutting squares is easy and I have often marked the back of the fabric with a crayola washable marker so I don't miscut.

I made this quilt by fussy cutting circles of Asian prints. I made a template to mark my circles once I decided what I wanted to cut out.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]555659[/ATTACH]

My DH liked it so much I ended up making another for him. I ended up with a lot of small odd sized scraps from all those fussy cuts. So I made this quilt out of them which utilized pieces as small as 1" x 1 1/2" unfinished. So often those wasted bits can be utilized in another quilt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]555660[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails asian-quilt.jpg   asian-scrappy-clamshell.jpg  
Old 08-16-2016, 06:17 PM

Wow! I love that quilt. It's gorgeous.

Thanks everyone for your help. I've followed many of your suggestions. I made a template a little larger than my 5" square and used it to draw a rough outline to cut with scissors. I've roughed out several squares. I picked up a rotating mat at Wally World today. I still need a smaller square up ruler. Mine is really big. I'll have to go to the quilt shop for that.

I bought the book by Ami Simms. It's a great little book. I'll check up the Martelli site.

Thanks everyone for your generous help.
bkay
Old 08-16-2016, 06:37 PM

I love to fussy cut when it is needed because I am one of those who likes to see the whole character/flower if I am paying for it. Fussy cut square makes the quilt pop.

I have the fussy cut squares but frequently I need a different size. If I don't have the right size, I take tape and use it to mark a square the size I need -- if I start in a corner I only need to tape 2 sides (be sure and include your seam allowance). I also use a washable marker to mark the exact center of the square so I know where to place the ruler for cutting (or marking the square for scissor cutting, depending on how my hands feel).