Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fustrated.......pieced border!

Maybe it knows you don't like it, so it's giving you a hard time! LOL!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Quote Originally Posted by judys View Post
    Isn't it great that we can each do it the way we prefer and they all turn out just the way we want them....eventually!
    Yes!!!!!!!

Ok, OK, OK,now I have to see one!!!!! I don't think I've ever seen a pieced, diagional boder. Does anyone have pics??
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Blog Entries
    I do what paulswalia does, piece the borders together first, then measure and cut them to fit the quilt. Even when I don't piece them I pin them on before I cut. It is SO EASY to come up short.

I piece my borders on the diagonal, also. I add 12 1/2 inces to the length. This gives me enough for the diagnol seams and enough to join the two ends diagonlly.

Sorry that's for the binding. I do what the others do piec them then measure the quilt in the middle and cut them to size.

Quote Originally Posted by judys View Post
    Isn't it great that we can each do it the way we prefer and they all turn out just the way we want them....eventually!
    Amen to that.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

I piece mine on the diagonal because (1) I like the look (2) It reduces bulk and (3) I want that fabric to know it can't win! froggyintexas

Quote Originally Posted by gramarraine View Post
    I think a block on the cornor is a good idea and will solve the problem. I also piece my borders on the diagonal because I like the look better than straight across. I know it takes more fabric but if I like the look better I guess it is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingCrazie View Post
    So I'm venting a minute because this is the second time I have to stop and breathe over this border strip. I'm not this dense I know I'm not!!! So I needed to make two border strips 2 1/2 by 62 I cut and sewed, they turned out great then I realized I measured wrong and was short 1 1/2" on each so I thought ok not that bad and next time wait to have someone hold the other end of the measuring tape so it's accurate. When I piece my border strips I do them on the diagonal so i cut an extra piece for each one 5" thinking that's more then enough since I only need 1 1/2" ....can you believe I'm still 1/2" short??? I know it has to do with piecing them on the diagonal and I should have double checked. So I probably have already answered my question and will cut it all off and do it again since I have extra fabric...but still...ever feel like a quilt is fighting you the whole way and WINNING! To top it off this was a finished UFO top that I never quilted because I never liked it so I'm fixing it and am trying to get it ready to be quilted Monday if it would cooperate already!!! Thanks for letting me vent, Rachel
    Are you intending to cut your borders from the length of your fabric------------or do you use WOF and piece it? Being the chicken hearted person that I am, I just start sewing-------------when I get to the end of my seam------------then I cut---------and leave a tad to spare just in case.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Hi quilting crazie, during the holidays of 2011 I started to make a quilt for a really sick child (cancer) I made it a simple design, thought a month tops it would take. Well around thanksgiving the quilt just did not want to be made ( it was my plan to have it done before thanksgiving). I put pieces together and took them apart so many times I just gave up I figured the quilt just did not want to be made. I put it all away cleaned up my sewing room that I use for big dinners set the room up for the 20 plus people. 3 weeks later took the quilt out again and it still did not want to be put together. Finally by the end of january I was able to take it to the little girl and her grandpa. She rreally loves it and plays with it every day. The quilt is titled "Dreams do come true" I used disney fabrics. SOOOOooo I guess what I am saying maybe what you are working on is not ready to be created. ;~)

I've done that too, come up short. But usually just because I runout of fabric. I do what be of the other quilters said - piece the border, sew it on and THEN cut. If you pin in on right, you won't have any problem stretching or waviness. Also, if I don't have enough fabric, I have added pieces of the fabric I used in the design, into the border, as if I had planned it that way all along. I did this with a Bargello quilt, and I got a lot of compliments on the border.

Power Poster
    Think we have all had days like that. But you have to show this quilt who is boss!!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
    Been there also. One time I added a pieced block to the corners so the border being short was a good thing. It really added a better finish to the quilt.
    As a friend always said "There are no mistakes, just creative possibilities". I live by this and have made so many mistakes that turn out better than if they were planned. I made a baby sampler and this time the name across the top turned out awful. The design I had done was so stitch intensive I hated to lose it, so I cut the fabric out across the top, got a new piece of fabric and joined it with a decorative machine stitch - it turned out adorable. The next name was so much better.
    I tried to add a border to a quilt to enlarge it, had nothing but small pieces left of the fabric, and I can't go into describing what I did it was so involved, but that border is my very most favorite of all I've ever done.
    So, yea for mistakes, you can improve it.
    Judi in Ohio

Are you measuring your quilt thru the center for your borders or along the edge? Measure thru the center
    I do that, put a pin in if I am using a shorter tape measure and then add the two figures together to get the
    right measurement. I have done borders on the diagonal and cut them the correct measurement. Sometimes
    I don't want to do that and I purchase enough fabrice to cut them without piecing and then cut the correct measurement. This keeps your borders from waving. The only time I have pieced borders straight is
    when I used a stripe and wanted it to match instead of having the 45 degree angle.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
    I miter the binding strips but not the border pieces. When short, a corner block is a nice addition.
    this is what I do and I had the problem of the border being too short on my daughters quilt. Put a corner block and it not only finished it off nicely, I was able to have thier brand embroidered on each corner.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    If your border is 2.5 inches wide you'll lose a 2.5 inch square for every diagonal seam. 6.5 inches, lose a 6.5 inch square, etc, etc. Plus the seam allowance.
    Thanks, Scissor Queen! You're one of the smart gals I was hoping would read this
    Sue

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    Oh, gosh, this sounds so like me. I feel for you!
    aka Chicken McLittle

If it's true we learn from our mistakes, I'm going to be a genius!

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I've done both...piecing on the diagonal and straight across. I like the look of the diagonal better. More work involved and more fabric, but I think it looks nicer. I don't always do it that way...depends on how I feel when I get to that point. If I'm still full of energy, I do the diagonal, but if I'm worn out on the quilt, I sew straight across.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    I have read books that recommended piecing the border on the bias to make the pattern flow better. I've never used one of the gorgeous big borders (because I never seem to have the perfect fabric), so I've never tried it. However, I do have a question. Doesn't this introduce stretchiness where you least want it, on the outside of the quilt? I have never quilted something with bias on the outside edge, but I wonder if this is a problem when quilting, especially for longarmers who need to stretch the fabric on a frame?
    **********I don't think they mean cutting the borders on the bias. they mean piecing the ends together on the bias.
    that is---place your borders perpendicular to each other. lay your 45degree line of the ruler along the top edge, then
    cut on the slant. pin carefully, sew on this slanted line. sorry, that is kind of hard to explain, maybe you can you-tube
    the question & they will show on a video.

Blog Entries
    I piece my on the diagonal because it is hard to tell where the pieces are joined...After I figure out how many strips I need I always cut one extra just in case, If I don't use it I throw it in my 2 1/2" scrap bin. We have all had the quilt from hell, that won't cooperate... you can take a deep breath and chalk up one more UFO finished..

I'm with Lilakay...walk away for a while...eat some chocolate, let the caffeine take effect, and jump right back in!!!

So sorry!

I am so very sorry that you are having this problem, it is one that I have had on multiple occasions. The solution that I have found is to try to remain fluid about my borders and over plan all the way. If I think it will take three yards I always buy 4 or 5. That way I have plenty, and if I have leftovers, so be it...

By "on the diagonal" do you mean on the bias? That is what it sounds like, and the first time I have heard of that.

I just sew my border strips on first and then cut them, that way you are not disappointed.

I use a metal tape measure, like carpenters use, to measure for my borders. I lay the quilt out, measure it in the center, lock the tape measure then lay my borders next to the tape and mark for cutting. The metal tape is always long enough, stays where I want it, doesn't stretch or wrinkle. As far as piecing my border, it just depends on the design in the fabric which way I do it. Have done both.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast