Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: FYI - Walmart

It seems like the stores in areas with any sort of other fabric/craft stores within 30 miles are getting rid of fabric and crafts. The ones with greater distance to other options seem to have been more successful in retaining their fabric and craft departments.

Ladies, if you want your fabric department back, flood Walmart with letters. It worked at one Walmart. The genius that decided to take all the fabric out, shows how out of touch with reality he/she is. Walmart was the only fabric store within 25+ miles of our town, I don't go in as much as I use to, I don't like the the way they changed everything around.

I think all Wal Marts around here are getting rid of fabrics, some craft stuff and crap that would seem not to be very profitable, I don't think most people would buy. Expanded the electronics dept., which I don't buy, okay for now as I have tons and tons of fabrics, if I need a match for something I will go to a Jo Anns, we several not too far away.

Quote Originally Posted by lfw045
    I went into a new Walmart in Appomattox, VA today and much to my amazement there was a whole isle of fabric.....that's right ladies, fabric in two yard lengths for $7.00. There were cottons, flannel and fleece. There were actually some pretty pieces and the quality felt good. It was hanging with lablels attached. I'm just curious if this is going to be in all Walmarts. Has anyone else seen this yet? Somebody is obviously listening to the quilters........let's see where it takes us.
    On another thread I mentioned last a couple weeks ago. I had been to knoxville, kentucky. They had just alittle fabric left. The assoc. thier said that after they remodel that they were to have 2 and 3 or 2 and 5 yards for sale. So far here in Ga. I haven't seen that yet in the stores who have already lost all of theirs. I guess I will have to ask if they may be getting it back, or if it is just certain stores. It would be nice if they would all get some again.

We have 2 stores left around me here in Ga. that are at least an hr. away. When they get rid of theirs I hope they go to precut also. At least they are thinking of us again!!! Who knows maybe the precut will sell better than the bolts and then they will decide to bring it back to all the stores.
    So everyone lets SHOP,SHOP,SHOP!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    hmmmm ... this is very interesting. i wonder what i'll find when i hit my local wallyworld today.

for me as an individual, the precuts could be both a "glass half empty" and a "glass half full". unless i buy the extra-wide fabs made especially for backing, i always piece mine anyway. i usually buy either 4 or 6 yards, depending on the finished size of the quilt. so the 2-yard precuts would work for me if they have something i like. a 5-yard precut is a bit wierd so i'd probably pass on those (although that might be just the right amount for a quilt that uses that fab on both back and front).

also, i don't mind having fabric left over from a project. i nearly always find a use for it.

if my store starts to carry the precuts, whether or not i buy any will depend on two things: (1) do they have something i like; and (2) is that material worth $3.50 per yard. some are. some aren't.

since the walmart prices keep creeping up, it's now possible for me to find name brand snooty fabs online at clearance prices that are lower than the highest prices at walmart. i've decided that their corporate boobs actually did me a favor when they forced me to search for alternatives to the local department. (we still have one but the selection is not so hot anymore.)

the AE Nathan Quilt of the Month fabs will be a different story altogether. i haven't found a solution to that yet. it's nearly impossible to find alternate fabs at those prices - let alone the bonus of being able to buy snooty fabs instead. so, for eliminating those in most of their stores they still get a loud, long raspberry. (we need an emoticon that says THHHHHHHHHHHHHPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!) :hunf: :lol:

Blog Entries
    my WM just remodeled, took out the fabric and added larger craft aisle...I don't see that moving at all!!!! off to Hobby Lobby these days for fabric. Haven't checked the prices yet but I am sure they will rise also.

the WM near me ,PI maine has a samller fabric dept.butyou can't buy a button in the whole store! .they used to carry pillow forms and they don't anylonger.I'm not pleased with what they have done with most of their depts. so my shopping there isn't as good as it used to be. I would wish for a fabric store to open in the area that would work with people that like to craft either clothing , quilting or even uphosltery.

I work for Wal-Mart and yes, that is the way they are going to be selling fabric. I am just as upset as everyone else is that they are getting rid of the fabric departments, but I am glad to know that they will be having "some".

I emailed Wal-Mart's headquarters (customer service will give you their email address) a few months back and let them know what I thought about them removing the fabric out of our store. Mind you, I live in a small town, Wal-Mart is the only store in town (and they act that way, too) and the closest fabric store is 20 miles away. Anyway, I got a reply from the manager that oversee's that department, fabric/crafts. In a nut shell, she told me that the fabric and quilting was a thing of the past, a dying art, so to speak, and the trend is moving towards family celebrations. Therefore, the fabric will be removed from all the stores within two years and the craft/celebration dept will their replacement.
    I wrote her back and let her know that she did not know what she was talking about regarding the dying art of quilting. If she did her research, she would know that quilting is MORE popular now that it ever was. I also informed her that I would NOT be shopping or using anything out of their NEW family celebration department. My last words in my email to her was: It's a real shame that Wal-Mart is more concerned with bottom line profits, than giving their customers what they want.
    I am not sure it more emails/letters to them would do any good, but, I sure felt better when I hit the send button.

Blog Entries
    ok ... we're starting to drift off-topic here.

we do not want this topic to turn into yet another rant about the closing of walmart fab departments. we already know that our fellow WalMartians give a unanimous :thumbdown: to that development. there are other topics about that which you can search out and add comments to.

the subject of this topic is the precuts appearing in some walmarts. will they be a useful substitute for a full-blown fabric department? are the prices of the precuts in keeping with the actual value of the fabrics? are they better than no department at all?

and now, back to our regularly scheduled program ...

go into any walmart and they will tell you, as the store gets re-modeled, the fabric will be gone!! so when i find a store with it, I BUY!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Our Walmart moved and became a SuperWalmart. They have almost nothing in the carft aisle and NO fabric at all.
    HOWEVER, we are lucky in that the local Mardens moved into the old Walmart building and has TONS of fabric, notions etc., including FQs. I bought packages aof FQs there (12 to a package) for $9.95. Some where beautiful lightweight flannel and some were excellent quality cotton.

My best buys, however,are still online.

We have the prepackaged fabric also, some of it is for baby things, some for scrubs, but everything is in two yard packages so if you need 2 1/2 half yards you have to purchase 4 which is 14.00 plus tax . I won't do it ,I'll travel 60 miles to Jackson or Nashville for fabric.

Wal-Mart in Vancouver,Wa and in the Portland, Or and other small towns have done away with the fabric dept. I was sorry to see that. I wish they would do what the other posters said and get hanging 2 yds, FQS and etc.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
    Our store just started their remodel on Monday. Our fabric dept will still carry some fabric but we are also loosing a lot! We are getting a smaller cutting table, but will still be cutting fabric for our customers.
    Our craft portion of the department is shrinking a LOT too!
    I had 3 customers tell me today that they won't shop at the store AT ALL if the fabric goes away! And they are some of our regular customers! I hate if for them! I'll miss them!
    Hi, do you work at Wal-Mart? I just went p/t after 6yrs f/t.
    We had remodeling this spring...we have the quilting fabric and kits.....it is corp. decission to do away with fabric on the bolt... the store managers have no choice in the matter...there is a town 20 miles from us that has no fabric stores, so corp. let that store keep bolt fabric. We also have some pre-quilted fabric.

They closed down all the fabric departments in Pensacola Florida wallmarts

Blog Entries
    one more reminder ... we're talking about the precuts. not about the closing of departments. please limit your comments in this topic to that subject.

to comment about departments closing, please feel free to search out one of the many threads on that subject and add your thoughts.

I have no real use for precuts. So bottom line is Walmart lost my business

Banned
    ours has fabric, but not like they used to

I just went to Walmart.com to see if they had fabric on line and this is the message I found.

Find Fabric at Your Local Wal-Mart Store
    Fabric is not available online at Walmart.com, but you can find a full assortment of fabric and sewing supplies at your local Wal-Mart store.

I used to work at corporate in Bentonville, and my take on that statement is that they are looking for a way to make fabrics pay for their floor space and pre-cuts may be the answer. A lot will depend on how successful this proves to be. The criteria is how much money they generate per square foot of space and how it compares with other departments.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bevanger
    ours has fabric, but not like they used to
    do they have precuts? that's the subject of this thread.

if they have them, do you think you'll like them or pass them by?

All the Walmarts in our area, 6 of them, have already phased out. A couple have the precuts but not anything of quality that I would want. I think, for me, it's more that I don't like having pre-picked, pre-cut fabrics. I want to pick my own and have them cut to the length I want. I'm just picky that way. I want what I want, when I want, the way I want. When it comes to fabric, I'm a toddler.

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Ours has jelly rolls, FQ's, and packaged coordinating pairs of 1 yard cuts and charm squares. They are still carrying fabric too.
    Be very careful of their jelly rolls in their precut fabrics. A lady I sew with bought one and it had 10 of one print, 1 of several and odd numbers of other prints. She really had a hard time making a quilt from it because of the one overwhelming print.

I was in the U.S. yesterday and visited 2 Wal-Marts in update NY..neither had precuts - nothing - no precut yards, no FQ, no jelly rolls....they both has some bolts - but not a lot - lot like we used to see...but at least they did have some..although the only thing I bought was fusible webbing for applique....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast