Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Gee’s Bend?

Gee’s Bend?

Has anyone visited Gee’s Bend?
    I’m traveling and have the opportunity to go that way, but do not want to intrude.
    Are there shops or a museum there?
    Please share your experiences!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trugger View Post
    Has anyone visited Gee’s Bend?
    I’m traveling and have the opportunity to go that way, but do not want to intrude.
    Are there shops or a museum there?
    Please share your experiences!
    My grandson works in a book store in Fransisco (He's a professional translator.) and sent me a box of postcards with 25 pictures of Gee's Bend quilts. They are all named and dated: from 1935 to 1981. Stunning.
    On the back of the box is this blurb:

The women of Gee's Bend - a small, rural, African American community in Alabama - have been making quilts of exceptional beauty for over one hundred years. Carrying forward an old an proud tradition of textiles made for home and family. Gee's Bend quilts include works by as many as four generations of women in the same family. The work is acclaimed for its outstanding artistic achievement - quilts composed boldly and improvisationally, in geometries and patterns that transform recycled work clothes and dresses, feed sacks, and fabric remnants. The quilts of Gee's Bend illuminate several significant aspects of American quilt making: quilts as sophisticated design, vessels of cultural survival, and portraits of women's identities.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    There are tons of things to see and do in that area. I know parts of the area were hurt hard by assorted disasters, but I believe it is better now. Have a wonderful trip.