Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is the general public really that ignorant? >

Is the general public really that ignorant?

Is the general public really that ignorant?

Old 09-01-2013, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by sall View Post
I am sorry for being so ignorant, but over here in Uk, I am not sure what an Afghan is. Could someone please put a photo of one on the forum. I really would appreciate it.
An afghan is made with yarn, which is either knitted or crocheted to form the covering. You probably know exactly what it is, only by another name.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:36 AM
Power Poster

here are some images:

http://www.google.com/images?client=...w&ved=0CBgQsAQ
Old 09-01-2013, 11:01 AM

Hmm - I don't know about anyone else, but over here we'd call that...... a knitted blanket.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
Hmm - I don't know about anyone else, but over here we'd call that...... a knitted blanket.
But an afghan technically can be either crocheted or knitted. Do you then call one that is crocheted, a crocheted blanket?

I find it interesting all the different terms that Brits and Americans use....sweater/jumper, batting/wadding, pants/trousers, wrench/spanner, lorry/semi truck, etc.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:24 PM

I make a lot of quilts, mostly around 43 x 54. They're all charity quilts and I could never afford to make quilts if I had to spend $75 -- $200 or more for the fabric. That being said, I would not make a quilt on commission. I like to pick out my own fabric and pattern, I'm a scrappy kind of girl. Most people do not appreciate the time and effort it takes to make a quilt, especially when the quilt fairy is not sprinkling the magic no mistakes dust over your work. Perhaps this person really did have someone willing to make these quilts for $75 apiece--probably using some WalMart fabric(Walmart does have some nice fabrics that could be used as cheater cloth) and perhaps sheets for the backing and simple cross hatching or large meandering quilting and machine sewn binding. Arrrgh! I don't think I would sell one of my charity quilts for that. No matter what fabric you use, the work is still there. I really think this man had no clue how much time and effort a real quilt takes.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:35 PM

"Ignorant" meaning "not knowing," I would say yes. I don't think most people realize what they're asking; they don't mean to insult or be rude. I didn't appreciate quilts until I started making them. I thought they were just some pretty material sewn together in a cool pattern .Had no IDEA the hours and hours and hours and hours one would take, let alone the cost of fabric. I was ignorant in the technical sense. My aunt used to be an antique quilt dealer when I was young. When she would mention a quilt going for over $1000, I thought, "a thousand dollars for a BLANKET?? CRAZY!"
Old 09-01-2013, 12:55 PM

Most think when we quilt it is a hobbie and we do it for fun. Who ever thought it was a paying JOB? I do machine quilting and when I quote a price, they cannot believe how much it will cost them. They do not stop and think about the hair dresser, the car machinic, or the lawyer. They pay their charges and don't think it is their hobbie. Well quilting for others is my part time job. I use the amount that I make to get my 40 quarters for SSA. And I pay both the employee's part and the employer's part. I do not think 1cent a square inch is a lot to have a quilt done. None of the others I mention only charge so little. Good luck, and keep to you price. I think it is very fair.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
I look at it less as ignorance as a lack of exposure and training.
Lots of the people who ask don't sew, or quilt. They've never been in a fabric store, they don't know the price of fabric.
I dont have to know the cost of materials when I decide to get a painting made for me.
All I have to know is that its something special and will cost many times the price of the ones I see in the the shops.
The point is people do not see value in stuff not factory made.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:36 PM

No it was not too high.
Put it out of your head. It is certainly not worth any further thought.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:47 PM

Or there was no other quote and he was just trying to get the quilts super cheap. People do that to intimidate others into bending to their budget/will.