Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Genuine Reproduction Quilt Patterns

Genuine Reproduction Quilt Patterns

Happy New Quilting Year!

I love the idea of making a "new" applique quilt with a pattern taken directly off of a real vintage quilt, especially the red and green applique quilts from the 1830s - 1860s. It makes me feel like I am continuing the legacy of a long ago sister-quilter, and paying homage to her work from a much harder time period (and, of course, creating a beautiful quilt for me/family!)

Does anyone know of a source for any of these patterns, or any patterns taken from actual quilts?

I did find Hoopla Patterns and ordered a beautiful quilt pattern from them.

Or does anyone know of a term for the type patterns I am looking for, so I can do a better Google search? So many of the reproductions are "based on" quilt blocks from the period, rather than actual quilts.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!

Power Poster
    You might be able to Google some pictures of Baltimore Album quilts. There are also some fine books of Baltimore Album pictures and patterns that may be in your library. You might also check Amazon for Baltimore Album books with patterns. Be prepared for a lot of work as Baltimore Album appliqué quilts were all made with the needle turn method of appliqué.
    p.s. Some red and green quilts were done in the Princess Feather pattern or Rose of Sharon pattern.

Blog Entries
    Ruby Short McKim had her patterns published in the Kansas City Star newspaper [I think]. Here are some images and some have been made into patterns https://www.google.com/search?q=ruby...r8QsAR6BAgDEAE
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Sue Garman often took inspiration from antiques to create her patterns. You may wish to look at hers:
    https://www.comequilt.com/shop/Individual-Patterns.htm

Most of these patterns have a little "bio" about where she took the inspiration to create the pattern. Or if you are so inclined if you go back through her blog postings she goes into more detail there on some of them.

Losing Sue was a great blow to the quilting community. I am glad her family has kept her website alive.

Senior Member sewingitalltogether's Avatar

Blog Entries
    You should check out Esther Aliu's blog and shop. She loves to do this sort of thing, and 5 years ago released a beautiful reproduction pattern of an entire quilt from 1790 called Love Entwined.

http://www.esthersquiltblog.com/p/lo...erlet-bom.html

pattern (with a very brief description) is here: https://www.estheraliu.com/love-entwined-sales-page

You can also purchase it as a BOM.
    Last edited by Peckish; 01-04-2019 at 01:16 PM.

If it's the 19th century you are interested in, Barbara Brackman's work is an excellent choice. She is an amazing historian.

hugs,
    Charlotte

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    many were published in the KC STAR and then published as a book--KC STAR sold all their copyrights to C & T Publishing a few years ago--may check their website.

Jeana Kimball wrote a book, "Red and Green, an Applique Tradition". It is in the Baltimore Album traditional style. It was published by Patchwork Place. It was published in 1990. It is full of lovely red and green applique quilts, the patterns and stories of the makers. Perhaps you could find it online. I have always loved the Baltimore Album style and have lots of completed blocks. I really need to finish them as a quilt before I die.

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions! I knew there had to be people "out there" that would know where some of this was located. You just can't find everything (yet) doing a Google search!

Thanks again! I will be looking at each of the books and links!

Check out "The Bias Pomegranate Quilt" pattern (and others) by Hoopla. Also check out patterns by Karen Witt and Bonnie Blue Quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
    Jeana Kimball wrote a book, "Red and Green, an Applique Tradition". .
    I agree on this one.

I went looking for patterns from Woodlawn plantation, built by George Washington's son-in-law for his bride, Washingtons's stepdaughter. I was disappointed to find the name of the group has been appropriated by someone who sells modern patterns but no books with Nellie's original patterns. Does anyone know of any publication of the quilts made by Nellie Custis? I've seen several articles and the patterns you are looking for are duplicated by the group. They are sold to help fund the museum.
    Vic Tori Ann Work Shop

Sentimental Stitches has had a few free BOM's using patterns taken from old quilts. Not sure if it's what you want but check them out.

Also check out Piecing the Past's website.

https://store.piecingthepastquilts.c...3&parent_ids=0
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Elly Sienckiewicz comes to mind. I probably have her last name spelled wrong but she was a big name in Baltimore Album quilts when I first started quilting.

Edit- I just checked and her books are on Amazon