Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Georgia Bonesteel >

Georgia Bonesteel

Georgia Bonesteel

Old 05-25-2012, 02:26 AM

pauline ineson has used a quilt as you go technique which involves no hand sewing at all. She uses it in her prize winning traditional quilt which can be seen along with another quilt of hers on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW-ox6_0ws0 She does describe it briefly but not sure whether you'll be able to visualise what she means because she doesn't actually demonstrate it. I have a friend who's making both the quilts and has explained it to me, and it sounds quite straightforward.

The backing is cut larger than the front block, and the wadding is cut the same size as the front. Then you place the right sides of the backing together, sew them together and then bring the excess over the front of the front and machine stitch it down. I haven't tried it but hope that makees sense.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by RkayD View Post
Do the QAYG quilts drape? Or do the seams make it weird? Do you know what I mean? I've been wanting to try it but haven't seen one in person...
I don't see a difference. my avatar, which is a generous full size, drapes well. I used the georgia method.
I did these throws using the method where you have a 'sashing' on both the front and back. They also drape well. If you scroll down, there's a picture of the back of one. If you use sashing to match the backing, it is not noticeable.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t103513.html
Old 05-25-2012, 04:27 AM

I have used Georgia's technique but found that the QAYG method I like the best was where you break the quilt into
3 panels - you make the middle panel complete with backing and batting, quilt as desired, then take one of the outer panels, sew the front and back to the middle panel WITHOUT the batting, then butt the outer batting panel to the middle batting, whip stitch it together and simply fold over your front and back, then quilt. This allows you to quilt on a machine with a small harp, it eliminates handsewing, and it does not require sashing which some other methods need. The only drawback is that your back will be seamed. I found it easier than Georgia's technique.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:30 PM

where did you find the pattern for the 3 panels style?
Old 10-13-2012, 05:44 PM
Power Poster

Made over 350, stopped counting a few yrs ago. Have hand quilted all but 3-4 that i swapped services for. Ill put maybe two rows tog, and quilt that, then the next two and sew them tog. Sometimes, it looks lumpy at first, but after its layed out for a few days, it looks great.