Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
get to Walmart >

get to Walmart

get to Walmart

Old 11-07-2010, 03:47 AM

We live in a rather small place population wise and were thrilled when we got a Walmart because there was no where to go and pick up a sewing notion without driving 20 miles either way. Big disappointment. No fabric and few notions. Then one of the other Walmarts took out their fabric. The fabric and quilt shop choices are so slim in this area that when I drive to a bigger city (50 miles from here) I go crazy. I did see the bolts at the store in Morehead City, but none of them seemed suitable.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:59 AM

I went to walmart last week and decided to check out the fabric department. Well it was a single craft size table with the bolts piled on top what few there were.Now I am not a fabric snob or anything but the junk that they had there looked and felt like not first or seconds but thirds. After working in a Joann's for 10 years you get a feel for the fabric. What is there is a joke just to keep us quiet. I do alot of crafty things on the side that doesn't need great fabric.But this stuff is not even good fabric. The fabric they use to have on the discount $ table was better than this junk. Just don't bother .
Old 11-07-2010, 03:59 AM

I went to walmart last week and decided to check out the fabric department. Well it was a single craft size table with the bolts piled on top what few there were.Now I am not a fabric snob or anything but the junk that they had there looked and felt like not first or seconds but thirds. After working in a Joann's for 10 years you get a feel for the fabric. What is there is a joke just to keep us quiet. I do alot of crafty things on the side that doesn't need great fabric.But this stuff is not even good fabric. The fabric they use to have on the discount $ table was better than this junk. Just don't bother .
Old 11-07-2010, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by twinstitchin
My son went to wallyworld for groceries and came back with one 5 yard bolt for 5 dollars for me to make my DGD some night gowns,he had the nerve to tell me they had two huge tables of fabrics for sale,so you guys have fun shopping,I will have to wait until the next time.
OH yea!!! I forgot my walmart in town all had one table of fabric and my DH bought me 5 bolts of fabric!!!!
Old 11-07-2010, 04:37 AM

I don't like Wal-Mart fabric but that is me, buy what you can afford I say. Our Wal-Mart has very little- I used to buy notions there now you can barely even find any of that - now I buy my notions at Hobby Lobby. I order all of my fabric on line as no quilt shops within 85 miles in any direction they even closed our Hancocks several years ago. When we travel I sometimes stop at quilt shops in other states and find fabric but mainly I find the sales on line you can find a lot of them if you look.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:40 AM

Wallyworld has fabric, not in CT. They stopped selling fabric years ago. I love their prices and fabric.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:48 AM

I am seeing more and more NC people on here and it is making me miss my kids up there. lol
Old 11-07-2010, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by MaggieLou
You might want to check the bolt to make sure it's all usable. The bolts are seconds (that's why they're that cheap) and may have streaks where the dye missed or other flaws. I was in WalMart yesterday and a lady wanted one of these bolts and it had streaks all through it where the dye missed.
I guess it is true - you only get what you pay for!!
Old 11-07-2010, 06:35 AM

$5 per bolt fabrics are to laugh ....My store has same deal but quality is
very poor, absolutely not suitable for quilting, questionable if good for
nightwear, clothing. The colors and prints in Fat Quarters would be
great if the fabric wasn't so thin you can actually see through it. Again,
not for dedicated quilters. If only Walmart would get the message:
Quilters are begging for restoration of a quality fabric department!
Old 11-07-2010, 07:05 AM

My son and daughter in law did the same thing Friday night. They actually brought me four bolts! The fabric they got is pretty but it doesn't mention anything about being flame retardant. I was so surprised that walmart is getting anything back. I am in Richmond, VA and they had two tables as well. Maybe they think this will keep us all from begging that they get the fabric section back! :)