Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Getting Started >

Getting Started

Getting Started

Old 05-18-2011, 03:15 AM

Everyone here has given you great advice already. I started quilting about 10 years ago. I came from a garment/home dec sewing background so the sewing part was easy. I already had a machine so that was easy. Wasn't an expensive machine at all. You can look on craigslist in your area and find a good used one for a very reasonable price if you can be a little patient.

A friend of mine was a quilter which is what got me interested initially. I spent time at my local library looking at instruction and pattern books. Also watched Simply Quilts with Alex Anderson on HGTV at the time - great instructions. Check your local listings to see if there are any quilting programs in your area - usually the PBS channels.

After looking at different patterns/fabrics I quickly realized I prefer traditional patterns with more contemporary fabrics. My first project was a table runner that I made marking the back of the fabric and cutting with scissors. After all, people eons ago did not have all these rotary cutters, rulers, mats, etc. and they did beautiful work. After that table runner and deciding I liked the process and the result I bought a mat, rotary cutter and a couple of rulers. Wait for coupons/sales at Joanns or Michaels if they are in your area.

I typically machine piece and hand quilt my projects because I like to do hand work. I have also hand pieced and machine quilted. Like the hand piecing for portability and really don't care for machine quilting but it does have it's place in life. It's just not something that I enjoy but I admire alot of the quilts that are machine quilted.

Check out garage/yard sales and thrift shops for fabrics - they can be a great resource for fabric and tools alike.

This craft does not have to be expensive. Online resources, especially here, can be tremendously helpful. And your local library is also a great resource. You can check many books to see what you may want as a definite resourcse before you spend tons of $$.

Quilting can be very theraputic - it makes you concentrate on what you are doing and takes your mind off anything else that may be worrying you, at least for a bit. Gives you time to breathe. Enjoy the process.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:23 AM

Welcome from Michigan! I'm still pretty new! Been at it 2 yrs. I do both hand and machine. I learned from an old library book and help from here!! I loping my June Taylor cutting stRip system! Less waste and guessing can cut 1/4" strips and squares, rectangles and diamonds. I got it online so was cheaper. Didn't have a big stash. Started buying on here and it exploded! Good quality and prices better than LQS!!
Good luck! Question?? Just ask on here!!
Old 05-18-2011, 04:31 AM
dd

As for a machine, I sent an email around my church and had 2 nice, older machine3 donated. Both were in good condition but my dad can go over the machine and it didn't cost me anything there. I use them when something happens to the ones the girls bring for their 4H class. Put a notice up at school or church and one may be donated to you. Got an extra car seat for my husband's car that way too. Ask and you shall receive.

As for coming to MD, let me know when you get here!lol

Have extra, will share!
Old 05-18-2011, 05:18 AM

Hey dd, where in MD are you? I'll be heading to Ellicott City tomorrow for the Preakness Balloon festival. We'll be there through Sat. AM. Unfortunately I don't think we'll get much flying in - maybe Fri. AM and Sat. AM at this point so I may have some free time on Fri.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

Would love to help you out. Pm your address and i'll send you a box of goodies!!!
Old 05-18-2011, 10:22 PM

Oh you are all so wonderful! I am going to check out my library and internet for books, and patterns (although I think I have already found one. no curves, just diamonds only! I found this quilt at an estate sale and my grandma bought it for me. I love it to pieces!) I also already have a sewing machine, YAY!!! Mom didn't throw it out, just hid it. Otherwise I'm going to slowly collect my needed materials :)I'm soo pumped. Thank y'all so much :)
Old 05-19-2011, 04:30 AM
dd

Be careful with diamonds, they have bias edges and bias stretches. You can do it, just be careful. Be sure to share your finished works of art.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:45 AM

okay, thank you for that advice!!!! I will:)

Quick Question If I found a pattern that I like, I can tweak it to make it easier/harder right?
Old 05-19-2011, 04:58 PM
dd

Not sure I know what you mean. It's your quilt, you can do whatever you want with it. (boy, if I had a nickle...)lol You can try using June Tailor diamond cut ruler. You should be able to strip piece and cut the diamonds that way. I have one I haven't used yet but it says to check out the web site, www.junetailor.com, for patterns. Hope this was helpful.