Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
getting wrinkles out >

getting wrinkles out

getting wrinkles out

Old 04-15-2021, 01:51 PM

Default getting wrinkles out

Can anyone tell me how to get wrinkles out of 108 wide fabric? I've ironed it several times without much change, I've gotten it damp and but it in the dryer and still is very wrinkled. I don't have a longarm so need to pin. First time I've used 108 wide. its a Moda muslin very soft so I'm disappointed I'm having so much trouble with it. I'm hesitant to use starch. Thanks
Old 04-15-2021, 02:09 PM
Power Poster

I take my wide backing to the cleaners to be washed and pressed. It's too much hassle to try and press that much yardage in one big piece for me.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:13 PM

OH , good to know. I would have never thought of that.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:28 PM

I like the idea of the cleaners! The other day a vintage mangle (big ironing press) came up for free on Craig's List... if I only had the space.

Sometimes all you can do is start over with a fresh wash, while I don't usually use fabric softener, I might in this case. Do a full prewash and then be super careful about taking it out while still barely dry. From habit, I iron from the back side. For backing I will do a semi-quick press starting at one end and dealing with any snaggles, along the selvedge edge to the other end just the width of the iron, trim the other end and start down the other direction. Hopefully all you really need to do is the edges, but sometimes you do need to go into the middle or start in the middle to get the wrinkles out.

I also will move my ironing board so that I can use my couch or bed to support the fabric.

I've learned to get through the ironing by turning the music up loud and dancing while I press... still hate ironing but really, I get so much better results when I just go ahead and do it.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:35 PM
Power Poster

I find smoothing backing with my hands after it comes out of the dryer completely dry. I keeping smoothing as I fold it. Not much need to iron when I get ready to use it. Also I only dry one piece at a time. It does take time but worth it in the end.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:07 PM

Be careful not to buy the end of the bolt. That's likely going to have tons of wrinkles and next to impossible to get out. If ordering online make sure you know the return policy. If I'm buying an end-of-bolt I have it unrolled first. If it's badly wrinkled I won't buy it.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:29 AM

I wouldn't hesitate to use steam and starch. I've done several 108" pieces lately. They truly are a pain to iron but it's doable. I use my cutting table w/towels to iron my large pieces of fabric.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:05 PM

I do have a longarm so my results may be different. But I usually do press the wrinkles out....but my criteria for if it is pressed good enough is if I can still feel the wrinkle when I pass my hand over it. Sometimes, I can still "see" the wrinkle but it feels smooth. I have found if I do this, by the time I load the backing on the quilt and quilt it, those wrinkles that I can "see" but not "feel" are gone. I know a professional long arm who does not press backings brought to her by a customer unless the wrinkles are really definite and the fabric just will not lay flat at all, she says that by the time the fabric is rolled on the rails and the quilting is done, the fabric usually relaxes.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:46 PM

I spray the hard creases with a mixture of water and vinegar.
Don't need a lot...maybe 1 Tbsp for one bottle.
The rest I don't really worry because I glue baste and set
with the iron.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:54 PM
Power Poster

Any badly wrinkled fabric, I hand wash in the tub and hang to almost dry and then iron dry.