Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: A gift for help?

Ok, one of my co-workers/friends has helped me through the first quilt that I have made. We got together 3 times, at least 2 hours each time. I would like to get her a little something for her help, as I know that private lessons are probably really expensive. I thought about a GC to the LQS, but I was wondering if anybody had any better ideas. What do you think? And BTW, what would I have paid for some private lessons???

Blog Entries
    I would make her a set of coasters, pot holders, something of that nature. She may really appreciate something that you took the time to make for her :wink: that would be my favorite kind of thank you gift :D 8)

Power Poster
    A written thank you note for sure -

I think what else you do depends on your finances at the moment -

The gift card is a nice idea, but I prefer after helping someone that I really like if they make me something, doesn't have to be quilted or anything, if you do other crafts or stuff, a jar of homemade jam, a home made card, baking is another one. Maybe something that she doesn't do.

Blog Entries
    I say that either the gift card or
    something that you have made
    just for her. I am sure that she
    would just love it!!
    :D :D :D :D :D

Sometimes a bought gift isn't the right gift. I'm sure the gal who helped you begin quilting would be thrilled to recieve something that you made yourself.

My favorite 'little' gifts that I keep on hand are plastic bag holders that I've made in some bright fabrics or a jar of homemade jam with a jar of corn bread mix. Next item I plan to add to my 'little gift' list are fabric grocery bags, the 'in' thing for Going Green. May in Jersey

I have no idea what private lessons would cost. I am sure your friend would love just a nice card and maybe a small thing you have created yourself...I often give plants as gifts...just something for indoors that looks pretty, or you could make a tote bag or buy a nice book.

other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    I would probably give her a gift voucher and a homemade gift because as we all know there is always something more you need from the quilt shop. :lol: Someone recently helped me and I made them a pumpkin cake, some homemade relish and a also gave a gift voucher and the gifts were more than gratefully received. Other things to consider might be two tickets to the movies which i have found most people love to receive but ofcourse it depends on her interests. Candles and pamper products are usually always well received too. Or just take her out to a nice lunch or dinner...

I agree with everyone,something that you have made,cookies bread etc or GC would be very nice

Blog Entries
    I'd be thrilled with a gift card and lunch. I must be picky but I think gift cards are the perfect for any occasion or reason. And there is always something I just don't buy for myself but it I have a gift card, I go ahead and get it. and think of the person who gave me the card. I always make a point out of telling the person who gave me the card what I got. Just sharing the love of quilting with someone is a thrill in itself.

I have taught several people to quilt and not gotten a card or gift, however they were so thrilled to learn to quilt and all of them quilt to this day!!! that was my reward.
    I think a homemade card, and a mug with a home made coaster and maybe lunch. I just love to give. Best of all you have a quilting buddy!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Be sure and tell her how much you loved her help and how much you enjoyed learning ! I love to help people and my reward is their joy in learning :lol: Gift cards are always nice also :wink: Us quilters love to share our addiction :oops:
    Sharon

This is why I have felt so welcomed on these boards: you ladies are always so helpful!!! Every question I have asked here I have gotten so many wonderful suggestions! This really is an incredible network, and I know it will be a huge part of why I continue to quilt. Thank you!