Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: givng quilts

For the past 5 yrs. I have asked people to refer a family with kids that might not get a present or maybe just one gift, I then make lap quilts for each child in the family, I find out there ages and what they might like interest wise, the person who has nonminated them cannot tell them anything, because on Christmas Eve I deliver the quilts wrapped, and signed by Santa, I ring the bell an leave them on the porch an leave before they open the door, sometimes the person that nonminated them will send me a note saying how much the kids loved there very own quilt, I can only imagine, what they are feeling! (My kids are all grown, I still try to make them each something for Christmas, but have enjoyed doing this for other kids too!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Fabric
    For the past 5 yrs. I have asked people to refer a family with kids that might not get a present or maybe just one gift, I then make lap quilts for each child in the family, I find out there ages and what they might like interest wise, the person who has nonminated them cannot tell them anything, because on Christmas Eve I deliver the quilts wrapped, and signed by Santa, I ring the bell an leave them on the porch an leave before they open the door, sometimes the person that nonminated them will send me a note saying how much the kids loved there very own quilt, I can only imagine, what they are feeling! (My kids are all grown, I still try to make them each something for Christmas, but have enjoyed doing this for other kids too!
    What an AWESOME thing to do!!! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Patchwork Pam
    Not weird at all.At Christmas I am always the last to open my gifts. I love to watch everyone else open theirs. It doesn't matter who gave the gift, I just love to see the smiles and surprise all around. My family thinks I am weird.
    Ditto!

Not weird at all!!! Or if you are, I am too. I don't want a pat on the back, just to be able to see the surprise on the face of someone who appreciates a handmade gift is worth all the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    The pleasure is in the giving.....I love to see the response a gift from me brings:)
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I feel the same way. Also on the subject of gift receivers. Do others like giving to ones that really are excited to receive a gift. My sister just is the best gift receiver, she gets so excited sometimes even crys when it is a quilted object. It makes you feel that you have done something to really make someone joyful.
    Others I have heard from that gave baby quilts at a shower just open and say oh thats nice and pass along to others to look at. My friend had her feelings hurt when this happened to her with a very lovely hand made quilt.

Blog Entries
    I always enjoy watching the recipient of one of my quilts open the gift too. Like you say, it is not the thanks so much as the look on their face(s).

No you are not. My family know that when I give them something I want to see them open it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2