Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Glorified Nine Patch

Glorified Nine Patch

Has anyone here done one? I've always liked it thinking a good way to make a traditional scrap with a bit of "class"... But something else always got in the way. I just watched a tute by shar Jorgensen of Quilting From The Heartland and her demo along with the templates looks good (to me). Maybe this will be my selfie present........any suggestions on this pattern?

Blog Entries
    when i googled the block pattern, i also found a quilting design for it... i love this one and she has others http://store.tkquilting.com/2433d.html
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    it is also known as Improved Nine Patch and here is a bit of history of it http://www.patternsfromhistory.com/c...nnas_quilt.htm
    Nancy in western NY
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

...might order that panto, but first have to begin the piecing...I think I will order the templates from quilting from the heartland..looks like a perfect way to get it done right

Did also look at history of and went to Hanna's quilt for her templates...way to complicated. Shar jorgensen's way is much easier, but thanks for the additional info
    Last edited by Geri B; 12-16-2015 at 01:55 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    ...might order that panto, but first have to begin the piecing...I think I will order the templates from quilting from the heartland..looks like a perfect way to get it done right

Did also look at history of and went to Hanna's quilt for her templates...way to complicated. Shar jorgensen's way is much easier, but thanks for the additional info

yes, i agree. i used to watch Shar do that pattern 'back in the day' when she had her own TV show. in fact, i met her at the MN quilt show one year.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-16-2015 at 02:13 PM.
    Nancy in western NY

I have never tried any version but Shar's although Fons and Porter had the same ones or not exactly the same either way with the templates it wasn't that difficult, this is one of my favorite traditional blocks. Good luck with yours.
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    yes, i agree. i used to watch Shar do that pattern 'back in the day' when she had her own TV show. in fact, i met her at the MN quilt show one year.

That's were I recently saw her demo...a tute on YouTube....I guess they are updated now......funny thing is...after I wrote this thread, I went rooting around my sewing room templates and found F&P 's version....must have bought the set awhile back and buried it......so I don't have to order jorgensen's...I'll use these. Look the same, but I think a bit thinner...I do have other Quilting From The Heartland templates for other patterns and they are a nice thick plastic....

I made the Glorified Nine Patch quilt many years ago when I first started quilting-it turned out beautifully and I still use it on our guest bed. Didn't know how to do scalloped binding at the time so I used cream color bias tape that matched the melon shapes. The pattern is in the book "A Slice of Quilted Spice" Quilting from the Heartland by Sharlene Jorgenson and it includes the patterns for the templates that you can make yourself out of the template plastic sheets.

The one that I would make has the 60 degree ruler that looks like a pyramid. I wouldn't buy any template that you can only make one quilt with.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=glor...ih=622#imgrc=_
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

If you don't like templates, you can use the Quick Curve Ruler by SewKindofWonderful. I have made their Urban Nine Patch pattern which is a variation of the improved nine patch block. Once I got the hang of the ruler, it was fun and easy to piece. Had never done curves before and now I've made 3 projects with the ruler. Love it.
    People will see your quilts long after you're gone - NOT your housework!

I appreciated the sharing of this quilts history. thank you for sharing this web addy!

I got lost along the way, are we talking about the patchwork or the quilting within the patchwork??
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Pam S. The quick curve ruler is a good choice. I have made several of Sew kind of wonderful quilts with their ruler. I don't like the pictures on their site I feel that their color choice don't do the beautiful patterns justice.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    The one that I would make has the 60 degree ruler that looks like a pyramid. I wouldn't buy any template that you can only make one quilt with.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=glor...ih=622#imgrc=_
    But if using straight edges triangles you don't have that curved look...I like using templates..more choices of design without having to draft it...but like everything else...personal choice...
    Last edited by Geri B; 12-18-2015 at 02:02 PM.

Blog Entries
    I tried and gave up LOL could not get the curves right,
    Retired and living in NE Michigan

tho i haven't done a full quilt using this block, i have made several small projects with it. it's a fabulous fun block. lends irself so well to super scrappy or pretty & organized colorings. it's my favorite block & not difficult at all. i made my first sample block many years ago when i was a novice quilter, saw it in vintage quilting magazine, and just had ​to try it!
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    it is also known as Improved Nine Patch and here is a bit of history of it http://www.patternsfromhistory.com/c...nnas_quilt.htm
    i first encountered it in vintage quilt magazine many many years ago. they called "New & Improved Nine Patch" ..love this block. i draft my own patterns and have not had any problems constructing it.
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.