Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Glorified Nine Patch >

Glorified Nine Patch

Glorified Nine Patch

Old 12-16-2015, 12:48 PM

Default Glorified Nine Patch

Has anyone here done one? I've always liked it thinking a good way to make a traditional scrap with a bit of "class"... But something else always got in the way. I just watched a tute by shar Jorgensen of Quilting From The Heartland and her demo along with the templates looks good (to me). Maybe this will be my selfie present........any suggestions on this pattern?
Old 12-16-2015, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

when i googled the block pattern, i also found a quilting design for it... i love this one and she has others http://store.tkquilting.com/2433d.html
Old 12-16-2015, 01:51 PM
Power Poster

it is also known as Improved Nine Patch and here is a bit of history of it http://www.patternsfromhistory.com/c...nnas_quilt.htm
Old 12-16-2015, 01:52 PM

...might order that panto, but first have to begin the piecing...I think I will order the templates from quilting from the heartland..looks like a perfect way to get it done right

Did also look at history of and went to Hanna's quilt for her templates...way to complicated. Shar jorgensen's way is much easier, but thanks for the additional info

Last edited by Geri B; 12-16-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
...might order that panto, but first have to begin the piecing...I think I will order the templates from quilting from the heartland..looks like a perfect way to get it done right

Did also look at history of and went to Hanna's quilt for her templates...way to complicated. Shar jorgensen's way is much easier, but thanks for the additional info

yes, i agree. i used to watch Shar do that pattern 'back in the day' when she had her own TV show. in fact, i met her at the MN quilt show one year.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-16-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:24 AM

I have never tried any version but Shar's although Fons and Porter had the same ones or not exactly the same either way with the templates it wasn't that difficult, this is one of my favorite traditional blocks. Good luck with yours.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
yes, i agree. i used to watch Shar do that pattern 'back in the day' when she had her own TV show. in fact, i met her at the MN quilt show one year.

That's were I recently saw her demo...a tute on YouTube....I guess they are updated now......funny thing is...after I wrote this thread, I went rooting around my sewing room templates and found F&P 's version....must have bought the set awhile back and buried it......so I don't have to order jorgensen's...I'll use these. Look the same, but I think a bit thinner...I do have other Quilting From The Heartland templates for other patterns and they are a nice thick plastic....
Old 12-17-2015, 10:11 AM

I made the Glorified Nine Patch quilt many years ago when I first started quilting-it turned out beautifully and I still use it on our guest bed. Didn't know how to do scalloped binding at the time so I used cream color bias tape that matched the melon shapes. The pattern is in the book "A Slice of Quilted Spice" Quilting from the Heartland by Sharlene Jorgenson and it includes the patterns for the templates that you can make yourself out of the template plastic sheets.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:53 PM
Power Poster

The one that I would make has the 60 degree ruler that looks like a pyramid. I wouldn't buy any template that you can only make one quilt with.
https://www.google.com/search?q=glor...ih=622#imgrc=_
Old 12-18-2015, 04:21 AM

If you don't like templates, you can use the Quick Curve Ruler by SewKindofWonderful. I have made their Urban Nine Patch pattern which is a variation of the improved nine patch block. Once I got the hang of the ruler, it was fun and easy to piece. Had never done curves before and now I've made 3 projects with the ruler. Love it.