Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gloves or Glycerin >

Gloves or Glycerin

Gloves or Glycerin

Old 05-30-2011, 02:24 PM

After seeing several discussions on the use of gloves or Machingers for FMQ I want to know if anyone has used glycerin instead of gloves. I do a lot of FMQ and heard about glycerin years ago and have not used gloves since. One or two drops of glycerin on your finger tips/palms will give you all the tackiness needed to move your fabric and you don't have to mess with taking gloves off to work on the machine or your hands getting hot. Bought a bottle at the pharmacy for $4 and it will last three life times. The glycerin washes off easily and is good for your skin.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:53 PM

Heaven forbid I should take care of my hands! Right now I use $$ store gardening gloves with the thumb and pointer finger cut off. I can still thread my needed without having to remove the gloves. Because they're cotton, my hands don't sweat. Anyhow, I have to go to the pharmacy on Wednesday, so I will put it on my list. (Maybe the ## store has some.....)
Old 05-30-2011, 03:00 PM
Power Poster

I use finger moistener like that used for sorting paper. It works great and reaves no residue
Old 05-30-2011, 03:05 PM
Banned

I use both - glycerene and finger moistener all the time. If I need anything else, I cut off the fingers from rubber dishwashing gloves. I need to feel the fabric and gloves restrict my touch.
I know some like the gloves but I have always used the glycerene and finger moistener.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:35 PM

I can't wear gloves--makes my hands sweat. I use finger cotts. Get them in the stationary--office supply department at WalMart. Not so hot on my hands and easily removed if necessary.
Sue
Old 05-30-2011, 04:30 PM

I just read in a quilt magazine to use Neutrogena hand cream because it's greaseless. Sounds like winner with Summer coming. If it doesn't work, I'll try some glycerin. Thank you for the tip.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:40 PM

mmm, may get me some of that! Thanks! Although I use gloves, with the fingertips cut out and quite happy with that! However, I may have just learned something better. We will see. Sounds like a win-win either way!
Old 05-30-2011, 05:08 PM

Thanks for the tip!!
Old 05-30-2011, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Delilah
After seeing several discussions on the use of gloves or Machingers for FMQ I want to know if anyone has used glycerin instead of gloves. I do a lot of FMQ and heard about glycerin years ago and have not used gloves since. One or two drops of glycerin on your finger tips/palms will give you all the tackiness needed to move your fabric and you don't have to mess with taking gloves off to work on the machine or your hands getting hot. Bought a bottle at the pharmacy for $4 and it will last three life times. The glycerin washes off easily and is good for your skin.
Thanks for a great idea!! Gloves get too hot.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:11 PM

Diane Gaudynski uses Neutrogena Body Emulsion for her hands for machine quilting...it works great, and is unscented.