Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Gloves for quilting??

Blog Entries
    Just found these in the cleaning section at WalMart for a couple of dollars. Bought them thinking "yup, these just might work" and they are GREAT. Hadn't seen them before so am assuming they are new on the market.......... :D
    Attached Images Attached Images

If they are rubber I would think they would be very hot!!

Blog Entries
    They are what appears to be jersey (feels like it also) and then apparently dipped in rubber or something similar on the palms and fingers. Grips beautifully when feeding the quilt sandwich through the sewing machine ..........

np3
    Blog Entries
    I can't stand to wear gloves......

I wear gloves for a big quilt I need all the help I can get!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I know a lot of people who wear gloves for free hand quilting but it's like taking a shower in a rain coat. YOu know. Not for me, and they make me hot. I don't even use them when gardening. LOL

I can not stand gloves -I use cut off fingers from gloves

You see these often in the gardening section. I LOVE mine...they don't get hot, they dry quickly.

AND...they come in all kinds of pretty colors.

I never thought about them for quilting...duh!

I have a pair of the Machingers. They are very light with rubber tipped fingers. They even drive me nuts!!!

Blog Entries
    thanks for letting us know, also they say garden gloves works great

Blog Entries
    Thank you for sharing this with us :D:D:D I think I could use these :wink:

community benefactor Conniequilts's Avatar
    I have some from fons and porter. I love them. When working with a larger quilt they make my life easier as I don't have to struggle to get my quilt moving. Just put them on and push!

I was lucky, several years ago I got some cotton garden gloves with rubber nubs from a lower priced food store in my area and I bought several pairs. No way would I try quilting without them. I've even sewn a glove finger tip to a quilt and had to cut it away, only the threads and saved the quilt and gloves. The don't make me or my hands hot. Will have to look at Wal Mart.

Yes the cotton quilt gloves work good to grip the fabric without bunching it up on the regular machine. I am a gardener so I am used to wearing gloves because of that. It is kind of like a thimble, either you like it or not. But has to be gotten used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Conniequilts
    I have some from fons and porter. I love them. When working with a larger quilt they make my life easier as I don't have to struggle to get my quilt moving. Just put them on and push!
    I also have gloves from Fons and Porter and really like them for FM quilting. I find that without them, my fingers/hands tend to slip on the quilt and I can't "push" it around as well.

Be careful that the blue rubber does not leave a stain on your quilts. One of my Quilt members bought a green pair similar and she told me that she found a faint green tinge after she machine quilted her quilt. She was lucky it DID wash out. But cotton gloves with the rubber spots on the palms are the best, ANY garden gloves like that will do. Mine are a cheap pair that I got for a few dollars for 6 pair. I have tiny hands and had to make them smaller for comfort but thet WORK great.

Be careful that the blue rubber does not leave a stain on your quilts. One of my Quilt members bought a green pair similar and she told me that she found a faint green tinge after she machine quilted her quilt. She was lucky it DID wash out. But cotton gloves with the rubber spots on the palms are the best, ANY garden gloves like that will do. Mine are a cheap pair that I got for a few dollars for 6 pair. I have tiny hands and had to make them smaller for comfort but thet WORK great.

Blog Entries
    I always use gloves to quilt. Helps me do what I want to do! I've used all sorts of gloves, I have had good luck with most any glove what has gripping fingertips...

I started using a drop of glycerin on my hands and do not use gloves at all anymore. It gives my hands just the right amount of tackiness, am not constantly taking gloves off and on, and it washes right off. You can get it at any drug store, found mine at WalMart in the pharmacy. A $4 bottle will last three life times.

Blog Entries
    Gloves make me crazy.
    First of all, my hands sweat buckets, I keep a towel nearby to dry them off.
    Secondly, I spent 18 years working as a nurse - got my fill of gloves then and have NO intention of going back.
    Just sayin'

Blog Entries
    i just found the same thing at dollar general. haven't used them yet but they appear to be perfect and much cheaper than the ones sold in quilting mags

I like using my Machingers so well, even for sewing. I for sure can not free motion without them, I have nearly worn out 2 pairs, love them!