Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
glue basting >

glue basting

glue basting

Old 03-19-2022, 08:25 AM

I'm still using purchased commercial spray baste, but plan on trying glue basting.

It is my understanding that the glue works better on cotton battings like Warm and Natural than the fluffy poly batts I typically use. Can anyone comment on that??
Old 03-19-2022, 09:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by FoggyButFocused View Post
Does the glue basting work well regardless of the way it is quilted? For example, DSM or hoop frame?
I quilt on a DSM and it works well.
Old 03-19-2022, 11:26 AM

I use the school glue too. I buy a gallon of it and a I buy smaller bottle of it that I can refill as the smaller size is easier for me to hold on to. I squeeze a thin line on it and use any kind of stiff plastic I have laying around to use as a spreader and spread the glue as best I can. I don't want the glue to dry in lines (maybe 10" apart) and be lumpy. I worry about the spray glues. I don't know of any that says it'll wash out, and I don't want the chemicals to become a problem years downline. I don't know of any studies that exam how those spray glues affect the cotton over time. I glue both the front and the back before I quilt it.
Old 03-19-2022, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

The glue roller bottle was delivered today. I think it will be a great time saver. Thanks again for posting about it.
Old 03-19-2022, 12:11 PM
Power Poster

I am about 30 quilts in with Elmers Washable School Glue. I don't use any special products and don't dilute it. I spread the batting down on a table. Then either the backing or top, doesn't matter, just if you use the kind of cotton batting that needs the dots on top, do the quilt top on that. If it is winter, I put the glue bottle in a cup of water for a while to make it flow better. Then I pull back the top about halfway and drizzle a kind of grid pattern on the batting. I can usually do maybe almost the first half. Then pull it up and smooth it all out. It is respositionable at this point. I can keep smoothing it out and if I have to, lift it up and pull taut. Then slide the quilt so that I can pull down the other half and repeat. Then flip over and do the other side. I have never had a pleat/buckle, or anything. I usually let it dry at least overnight because I'm never in a hurry. When dry it will not gum up a needle. I don't use a pool noodle, paint brush, roller, or anything. Easy peasy. This is supposed to replace pin basting, not spray basting, so it isn't necessary to cover every square inch of the quilt. I try for at least a 4-6" spacing. I sometimes practice a free motion quilting pattern. Good way to practice meander or wiggly grid. For me it has always washed out easily. It has not (for me) ever messed with the dye on a fabric.
Old 03-21-2022, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
I'm still using purchased commercial spray baste, but plan on trying glue basting.

It is my understanding that the glue works better on cotton battings like Warm and Natural than the fluffy poly batts I typically use. Can anyone comment on that??
I do a LOT of charity quilts that use polyester batting and the glue basting works perfectly. I've never had a problem.
Old 03-21-2022, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post

Just jumping in to say that I've solely glue basted for the past 8 years and I love it. Last week, I just glue basted a super high loft Hobbs Cloud Loft poly batting and it worked wonderfully (phew!). This time, I used full strength glue and as I hoped, the thick glue sat on top of the batting more and adhered the fabric to the batting superbly. I did drizzle in a much tighter grid than I normally do (about 2in apart this time) with cotton battings.

I had tried glue basting Hobbs PolyDown twice before with watered down glue 50/50 as I normally do for cotton and that did not work very well at all. I think thinning it caused the glue to sink into the batting too much and by the time it started to finally dry, there wasn't much glue surface left for the fabric to grab on to.

Full strength glue (or close to it) for poly works great!
Old 03-21-2022, 05:37 AM

I have tried all of the above but always go back to using pins - just works better for me. I lightly pin it working on the floor, then transfer it to my large dining room table. Then I pin the center quite well and quilt that. Next I bring it back to the table and repin the rest which takes care of any problems with it being nice and flat.

Before I start pinning I find the center of all 4 sides and then match the backing, batting and top at the marks. It works well for me. Of course, getting the quilt ready for quilting is the part I like the least but once it is under my needle on the DMQ, I love the actual quilting process.

Do what works for you and enjoy the process.