Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Glue for hexies >

Glue for hexies

Glue for hexies

Old 07-23-2023, 10:19 AM

Default Glue for hexies

I saw online a technique for making hexies. Using a paper foundation, she'd glue the edges of the fabric over the paper, stitch them together, and remove the paper. I think she probably used a water soluble glue stick. Has anyone used this method? I've used water soluble glue in the past for some fabric projects but not with paper inside. It seems to me that in the stitching together process, you'd catch some of the paper not just the fabric.
Old 07-23-2023, 11:26 AM

I use glue for all my EPP work. You can buy a special glue stick for EPP with replaceable glue or you can use a washable glue stick from the office supply or dollar store. Either one works. I've found that the EPP glue pen and sticks are easier to remove when you're done. It could be that I use too much when using the glue sticks from the office supply store. I have no idea.

You have to be careful not to catch the paper when you're stitching, but if you catch a bit, you can still take the paper out. You just have to be careful not to pull on the stitch when you do.
Old 07-23-2023, 01:41 PM

@cashs_mom, the same has happened to me when I use Elmers glue sticks or glue sticks from the office supply store. I have no problems with the glue pens. Don't understand it either.
Old 07-23-2023, 05:25 PM
Power Poster

I like a glue pen with refills. So far any pen refills have fit. MSQC had them on sale last week and I stocked up. I keep all glue sticks in an air tight container with damp sponge because I have dozens of them. They last a very long time. I have used magnets and like that way too if I am sewing them together then. To store hexis to sew later takes too many magnets. I have used regular office tape too. That worked fine just took me too long to tear off a small pieces of tape from the dispenser. Tried sticky dots and ended up throwing the whole tablet away as soon as I got my self unstuck from it.
Old 07-23-2023, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sync View Post
@cashs_mom, the same has happened to me when I use Elmers glue sticks or glue sticks from the office supply store. I have no problems with the glue pens. Don't understand it either.
Wow! Well, at least I'm not the only one!
Old 07-24-2023, 04:04 AM

I decided to try hexies months ago. I put the paper in place on the fabric, iron the edges over, remove paper and then use a glue stick to hold down edges until I’m ready to sew. Glue is still holding months later and I just keep adding to the pile.
Old 07-24-2023, 04:14 AM

I made a large easy fold hexie quilt last Summer for my new little grandson and thought I would NEVER try and make another hexagon quilt as that was my first one ever. I'm definitely ready to make another one now using michelem's way! Thank you for sharing!
Old 07-24-2023, 09:44 AM

There are also clips to use instead of glue...just saw them for the first time a few days ago! They are Sew-Tites:

https://www.sewtites.com/collections...nd-hand-sewing
Old 07-24-2023, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by WesternWilson View Post
There are also clips to use instead of glue...just saw them for the first time a few days ago! They are Sew-Tites:

https://www.sewtites.com/collections...nd-hand-sewing
For me, the problem with those is that they are so expensive. I commonly have a ton of pieces glued and ready to go so I can just sit and stitch. I'm just finishing a heart project. Each heart is comprised of 2 gemstone pieces put together. I sewed all the pairs together and then sewed the in rows and then sewed the rows together. I probably had 100 pairs made and on the design wall. I can't afford enough sewtites to do that.
Old 07-24-2023, 04:18 PM
Power Poster

I likethe Sew tites magnets. They are very handy. My husband's sister and BIL were to go out to eat with us, our treat. Something came up and they couldn't make it and decided we would meet for coffee instead of a meal. I placed an order for Sew Tites that night. Still cheaper then the meal would have been. LOL