Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To Glue or not to Glue???? >

To Glue or not to Glue????

To Glue or not to Glue????

Old 08-24-2013, 06:11 AM

This is not a reply to this thread. It is a question. How do you get a previous post into your own reply. I would like to be able to answer a specific person but cannot figure out how to do it.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:17 AM

I have used Roxanne's Basting Glue and love it, but only for applique. I use Wonder Clips for my binding and it works for me. I have to admit I'm not a fan of putting glue on my quilts for any other reason than applique.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:30 AM

The glue method is not messy if you use it either sparingly or with the tiny tips you can also purchase online. I tried it right from the Elmer's Glue bottle and too much came out at one time so tried it with the tips (2 sizes come in the package) and found that worked great. I use the glue for my binding as well as when I have blocks that need their seams to match up perfectly. Doesn't take much glue to hold anything down, just a tiny speck seems to work along with a hot iron. As I wash all my quilts before I give them away, the glue is gone.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by dee1245 View Post
This is not a reply to this thread. It is a question. How do you get a previous post into your own reply. I would like to be able to answer a specific person but cannot figure out how to do it.
Highlight the text you want quoted, then click, "Reply with Quote."
Old 08-24-2013, 06:41 AM

Dee ~ at the bottom right of the post you want to quote, you have the choice of Reply or Reply With Quote. Click on "Reply With Quote" and the post will pop into the Quick Reply box at the bottom of the page.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:48 AM

Thanks! You're the 2nd person that has directed me to that video. Must be awesome. Checking it out now.
Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
This is where I learned how to do the binding, with Elmer's School Glue.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2hWQ5-ZccE
Old 08-24-2013, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting View Post
Putting glue on a quilt just doesn't seem right to me. But if you like it, go for it.
Elmers School Glue isn't glue...it's concentrated starch and it washes right out.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:42 AM

There is an excellent video on you tube about using glue for binding. I use it exclusively now
Old 08-24-2013, 03:32 PM

Dee...select the message you want to reply to and look down at the lower right side to Reply with Quote. Select that and a new window will open with the quote in it. Scroll down to give yourself space to type and there you go!
Old 08-24-2013, 05:32 PM

I got brave and tried the School Glue on a small piece recently. It was hard for me to get the pieces lined up correctly, and they ended up not lined up correctly, as the glue dried before I was ready for it! I worked fine with binding and a small piece, tho. Practice, I guess! Mariah