Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Glue tips

Glue tips

Where can I buy the Sharon Schamber glue tips. Having no luck on her site.
    Thanks

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    i get mine at the drug store in the hobby section...models...

Blog Entries
    I have a cheaper way to do it if interested pm me

Blog Entries
    Michael's and Joann's sell empty bottles with long thin tips. The ones from Michaels have the metal tips and I found them in the acrylic paint aisle. The ones from Joann's are just plastic. Those were near the x-acto knives.

Glue

I have used Sharon's glue technic and mentioned it to a quilt instructor,she almost had a heart attack.It works for me ,but told me never to put glue on a quilt not even the washable.

Blog Entries
    To glue or not to glue?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosewood9 View Post
    To glue or not to glue?
    Well, I don't know about anyone else, but there are instances when I use the glue to hold things together until I sew them. At times glue works better than pinning, such as when you are putting the binding on. Probably the horrified instructor I read about a couple of posts back who told ladycaller never to use glue on a quilt should try it sometime. She may find she really likes it :-) Lots of times horrified people are only horrified because they didn't think of it first, and go sneaking off to try it themselves......shhhhhhh!

I love the glue, it makes binding SO much easier and they turn out so pretty! I got my tips at an art store, but they were a bit pricey

I use the glue sticks....so much easier

I use glue all the time -- I am sorry for the instructor who is horrified. I started with Roxanne's glue baiste and have moved to something cheaper. I have not found the metal tips -- will have to check Michaels.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Quote Originally Posted by ladycaller View Post
    I have used Sharon's glue technic and mentioned it to a quilt instructor,she almost had a heart attack.It works for me ,but told me never to put glue on a quilt not even the washable.
    I really have a problem with teachers that say - "Never do this or that." Never is a really long time. Try it all and see if you like it, then go from there.
    Where would we be today if no one every went ahead and quilted by machine. I know, some of the old school quilters will say it has to be done by hand. I would still be working on my first quilt if I did that.
    I have tried lots of things, some work for me and some don't. We don't move ahead if we are stuck in the "Never do that" times.
    JMHO.

Roxanne's glue baste is the only place I found that thin metal applicator that fitson the end of the glue bottle.
    I ordered it on line from Roxanne's site. It is the same one that Sharon S. uses on her videos. I really like that it only places a very small drop of glue on the fabric.

I have the Roxanne's and love that little applicator bottle. I've been using Elmer's straight from the bottle w/good success at keeping the dots small...if not I use a toothpick to pick up the excess to put somewere else. I still have some Rosanne's left. I use glue sticks and small pieces of Steam-a-Seam2, as well. I'm working on some applique blocks and haven't done a binding yet w/glue but I will.
    Pat from Texas

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself."

Blog Entries
    I have the applicator bottle and tips and it is so much easier just to use the tip on the bottle. Just adjust the amount by how far you open the tip. I glue most all binding, either completely or just the mitered corners. glenda

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I re-use the glue bottles and tips. Its Washable.. so why not.

Blog Entries
    If you can't find them with the paints at Michaels, try the cake decorating section. That's where I got mine.
    I used to be "hot", now it's just "hot flashes!"

Have thought about using meat basters, ones with a syringe like and needle. I haven't tried it, but will. I've been using the school glue and glue sticks...both work well. I love them.

I put Elmer's in an empty (washed clean) ink cartriage refill container. Best use of those things I ever had. The thin tip is perfect and the accordian like bottle can be squeased just right!

You can make your own glue tip using a Bic mechanical pencil. You want the "cheap" pencils that are typically sold in multiples. I have NOT done this myself, but found the following instructions for anyone brave enough to try them:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    You need: Bottle of Elmer's washable School Glue; Bic mechanical pencil (0.5).
    Directions:
    Remove the point part from the pencil. Use it to score a line on the orange cap of the glue.Pop the orange cap off the glue bottle after "unscrewing" it all the way out.Cut the top part of the glue bottle off below the first ridge after it stops tapering down.Cut the top off the orange top part of the bottle along the scored line you made.Insert the pencil point in the orange cap so the point is out through the enlarged opening you just cut. Push itfirmly into place.Replace the orange cap on the bottle.
    Use a knitting needle point protector (Clover makes one) as a sealing cap on the bottle.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    I am currently using a plastic bottle with a metal tip that I purchased at our local hobby store. I found the bottle in the section where they sell models.