Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Going With the Big Stitch Method.  Which threads, needles, etc.? >

Going With the Big Stitch Method. Which threads, needles, etc.?

Going With the Big Stitch Method. Which threads, needles, etc.?

Old 01-19-2015, 03:44 AM

I am glad someone else said it, 'cause I was just thinking the same thing, so went and got my magnifying glass, and sure enough, it is Abe.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:14 AM

One other option I have used is the Coats (of Coats and Clark) Cotton Covered BOLD Hand Quilting. It is a aqua spool and available at Jo-Ann's if you want to look and feel it before you buy. It is heavy enough, I can thread it without a threader LOL, even these old eyes!
Old 01-19-2015, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I have used 'big stitch' quilting for 15 years since having it taught in my shop in Dallas TX. The stitches are not huge! If you get 5 stitches to the inch you should have no problem. Usual 'fine' quilting takes 9-12 stitches to the inch, all counted on the top layer.

Here is a close up of one I have done using wool batting and 30 wt. Sulky cotton thread with a #7 between needle from Richard Hemming. (That's a quarter beside it.)

Jan in VA
Love you Jan, your "big" stitch is my best stitch!! BUT I love mine because, guess what, I did it!! Too many out there worry about comparing theirs against someone else. When the zombies come, I will be and have a valuable commodity!!
Old 01-19-2015, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Yooper32 View Post
I am glad someone else said it, 'cause I was just thinking the same thing, so went and got my magnifying glass, and sure enough, it is Abe.
Plus the fact that Jefferson faces to the left, not the right, on the US quarter. We all know what Jan meant, just a slip of the fingers on her part.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I have used 'big stitch' quilting for 15 years since having it taught in my shop in Dallas TX. The stitches are not huge! If you get 5 stitches to the inch you should have no problem. Usual 'fine' quilting takes 9-12 stitches to the inch, all counted on the top layer.

Here is a close up of one I have done using wool batting and 30 wt. Sulky cotton thread with a #7 between needle from Richard Hemming. (That's a quarter beside it.)

Jan in VA
Jan- 1. Which Dallas shop did you own? I lived in Dallas for a couple years and spent quite a bit of time visiting all of the quilt shops in Dallas. I thought your face was familiar...
2. Looks like inflation visited you too. lol! Your quarter has turned into a penny! Lol!
Old 01-19-2015, 11:19 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Well, I'll be jiggered; I guess that coin was a penny although I'd have bet my life I had used a quarter when I took that picture several years ago! ('Course I'm more likely to own a penny than a quarter anyway! Hahaha!)

The stitch length I mentioned was NOT meant to criticize anyone else's quilting -- heaven forbid! -- but simply to make a point that, when we taught the class (at Silver Threads in Plano), we suggested students aim for 4-6 stitches as an average. In our regular handquilting classes we suggested an 8-10 stitch average.

I'm sure, as long as your stitches aren't nearly 1/2 an inch long, your quilting passes muster for "hand quilting" instead of "basting!! Gosh, my basting stitches are usually a bit over 1 - 1 1/2 inches long!

I do only big stitch quilting now because of the damage in my hands. Haven'tr done any since I had the carpal tunel on the left in December; the right hand will be done on January 28th, weather permitting the drive in. And when recovered I'll get back to trying my previous regular quilting of 9 stitches per inch. If I don't make it, who cares, right!!
Jan in VA
Old 01-19-2015, 04:04 PM

Jan, you are a LOVE!!!<3
Old 01-19-2015, 06:10 PM

Jan, do you know Sharon Wilhelm? She taught my classes and has been doing sewing/quilting things forever. She started out cutting kits at Suzy's, if anyone remembers them, many years ago.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:57 PM

I have quilted many quilts this way. Sorry I can't post a picture because I no longer have them. Point is they looked great even if I say so myself. I used white #8 perle cotton.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:48 AM

I used the big stitch like Jan did on my granddaughters wedding quilt. I used black embroidery thread - all six strands. Looked pretty good IMHO. I just did straight line quilting on the diagonal. I've used crochet thread to tie quilts but it's kinda hard to quilt with it.