Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
good 1/4" seam >

good 1/4" seam

good 1/4" seam

Old 02-17-2010, 10:14 AM

it really doesn't matter if your seams are not exactly 1/4" - just make certain they are consistent throughout your construction. For what it's worth, my Bernina 1090S is great but nothing beats my old, OLD Singers!
Old 02-17-2010, 10:59 AM

If the machine comes with a "straight stitch" foot the problem of the feed dogs eating the fabric should be solved.
My late, not great, Singer had a special cover throat plate with a single hole for straight stitching. I could feed even the sheerest fabrics, using the correct needle of course, through and no problem with wandering etc. I now us a Pfaff Quilt Expression and have a really good quarter foot.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:32 AM

Well, I have a Pfaff 2170 and I just love it...about the 1/4 inch seam I also use a feeder piece of fabric to start and stop with. The walking foot makes so much difference in sewing anything! I really like the fact that it has needle up or down which helps keep my seams straight. It holds the last stitch for you and asked you if you want to use it when turning on your machine. I have just started teaching myself free motion quilting on it and I am really please how it is turning out. Good luck with finding the perfect machine for you. Try them all out before buying and look at all the features you think you might want to have. I know my machine has so many features that I may never use, although the ones I do use work very well! Although my dream would be to have a Long Arm for quilting...oh yeah!
Old 02-18-2010, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

i have a Janome MC4800 and got a 1/4 foot with an edge on it. love it. use it all the time. no worries.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:48 AM

I have a MC6600 that I love; it is a workhorse machine and I love it. FYI... I received an E-mail on January 1 from Janome stating there is a new Janome sewing/quilting machine coming out in April in honor of their 150th anniversary. From what I understand, it is based on the MC6600 but will have an even deeper throat for easier quilting. However, the page link they sent is no longer available and I have seen no more about it.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:27 AM

dgreen...I use my 1/4 inch foot a lot. Even though my 1/4 inch foot has a flange on it and my machine has a perfect 1/4 mark... I find that you still have to be very careful in feeding your fabric straight into it. When you feed it at an angle it will knock your 1/4 in off. I think if you make sure the machine has all the features you want and test your sewing machines very carefully you will buy a winner! :thumbup:
Old 02-20-2010, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by billsgirl
Wow! Am I doing something wrong? I have an older Janome Memory Craft 9000. I bought it used. Only paid $4oo for it. I was so excited about it but now I must say that I am a little disappointed! It has the 1/4 foot and I have used it but it is a little wider than 1/4 inch! This machine has 3 needle positions. However, it doesn't sew a nice straight stitch unless it is in the center position! Any advice?
Bills Girl

Maybe you're letting the fabric go underneath the edge of the guide? I've got a 9000 too and the 1/4" guide foot makes perfect 1/4" seams for me. You want to make sure the fabric lines up to the inside edge of the foot. If you're letting the fabric go underneath the guide part, then yes the seams will be a bit larger than 1/4".
Old 02-21-2010, 07:13 AM

I would have to agree with quiltmom 04. I have a 20-something year old Pfaff with a built in walking foot and use the 1/4" foot. It feeds beautifully. I like that its right there - you just engage the walking foot - or disengage it. No need for finding it and putting it on the machine.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:23 AM

I'm going to have to check my manual to see if I can move my needle. I have a Janome DC3050. Took it to a class yesterday and heard all about how my inprecise piecing has made this project 'much less than perfect'. Usually use my Featherweight but don't usually take it to classes. Now I am determined to finish this project,less than perfect or not, just to prove that I would!
lots2do
Old 02-21-2010, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by lots2do
I'm going to have to check my manual to see if I can move my needle. I have a Janome DC3050. Took it to a class yesterday and heard all about how my inprecise piecing has made this project 'much less than perfect'. Usually use my Featherweight but don't usually take it to classes. Now I am determined to finish this project,less than perfect or not, just to prove that I would!
lots2do
you should have the width button or slide to move your needle, if you can make your zigzag stitch various widths, then your needle should move.
when i first started quilting, i took a class. while at a group thing..my girlfriend could not figure out why her blocks were so off. after i sewed on her machine for a while, i realized the 1/4" seam was rather wider than mine..she thought is she had a 1/4" foot on, she has a 1/4" seam. not so.