Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Good, better, best >

Good, better, best

Good, better, best

Old 04-14-2013, 10:53 AM

Default Good, better, best

Today the subject of perfection was brought up. The 90-year lady in our class said her Home Ec Teacher taught them this saying, "Good, better, best. Never let it rest until your good is better and your better, best." Have any of you ever heard this? As quilters (or trying to be), I thought this was pretty appropriate. If we are fair, we try and get good, if we are good, we try to get better. Then hopefully, we can be the best that we can be. None of the other ladies in the class had ever heard this either. Thought it was good food for thought.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:55 AM

Thanks for this! I have never heard this but is a good thing.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

I wish I had heard this saying years ago. It would have come in handy as a teaching tool. This is a wonderful useful saying.
peace
Old 04-14-2013, 11:03 AM

Yep, I''ve heard it. My grandmother used to quote that to me often when she was teaching me to knit and sew garments. Very useful saying.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:05 AM

I've heard that saying and always thought it was a good one. Keep trying...
Old 04-14-2013, 11:33 AM

Yes...my grandmother used to say that all the time...in later years she started saying "OHIO"...?? Only handle it once. Do it right the first time!! she had great sayings!
Old 04-14-2013, 11:43 AM

Good thoughts to keep in mind, esp when a "kind of" beginner like me! Being in Ohio, love that one!
Old 04-14-2013, 12:20 PM

That one is new to me. And it is food for thought. I do think though, that we need to be on guard against the kind of perfectionism that makes you crazy. I did that for years and then one day just said, "You know what, this is supposed to be something you do to relax and have fun!"
Old 04-14-2013, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by grandjan View Post
That one is new to me. And it is food for thought. I do think though, that we need to be on guard against the kind of perfectionism that makes you crazy. I did that for years and then one day just said, "You know what, this is supposed to be something you do to relax and have fun!"
I agree with that as well. After three tries, good, better, best, I'm done. If it isn't okay by try 3, it IS okay! I am trying to stay on the sane side of perfectionism.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:16 PM

No, never heard of that saying. But, now I know what my mother-in-law kept saying - A stitch in time saves 9. Years ago I had my first quilt on a big quilting frame in my living room and my mother-in-law came over here with a friend of hers (both elderly quilters) and they came over to see my first hand quilted quilt. Her friend declared that "my stitches were small enough that a person't toenails would not snag them". Evidently that was a good thing!