Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Good enough

Power Poster

Good enough

When doing the machine binding with flange, I almost always have to strive to let it go. I am doing my regular 45 degree join and it can be tricky to get the flange lining up perfectly. I did this one today and although it isn't perfect, it's good enough. Does anyone have a sure fire way to get it perfect every time?Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1673
Size:  265.0 KB

Hi Tartan, What I see looks good. I heard that Charisma did a tutorial on flanges. I haven't done one yet but would like to.

Tartan - I use glue when I do bindings. Especially when I do the flange binding. That way when I get to the corner it is already at the 45* angle & matches up perfectly. Just a tiny drop of glue at the corner & heat set it w/an iron.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

I have to trim a lot in the seam and glue it to exactly where I want it before sewing. Too much time so I usually don't add a flange until I forget how much trouble it is.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Looks good enough to me.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    I think I found Charisma's post: https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutori...ge-t77821.html

Is this also what is called a 'double binding'? Or is that something different...?
    Singer 301 (Zsuzsi), Janome DC1050, Brother XR3140 -when did THAT happen?!

Tartan, your work always look great and like they say, we are our own worst critics.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Funny you should ask! I just watched this tutorial this morning and had to go find it again. It looks like there is a certain point where the pins go in. It's hard to tell as there is another 45 degree join in the video.Wish it wasn't there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8N6nv90H2c

It looks like the join might not be a full 45 degree join. I can't quite tell. The last time I used flange binding, I had to use a straight join.

A second one here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jqrs7wLyso

Fons & Porter had a nice alternative in their magazine that I've kept on "file." You cut two strips, one the accent, the other the binding. The accent side is about 1/2" wider than the other. You sew them together lengthwise and then fold and sew as usual, sewing first the back, then the front. Looks very nice.

I had to laugh at your "Good Enough" remark....my late sister had a saying of "good enough for a town this size", and I've found myself saying it several times in recent months. Missing my sister.

Quote Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
    I had to laugh at your "Good Enough" remark....my late sister had a saying of "good enough for a town this size", and I've found myself saying it several times in recent months. Missing my sister.
    "Good enough for a town this size" .... Love it! Is it OK if I adopt it? I'll think of you and your sister every time I say it! It sums up my sentiments exactly! .. . no matter the size of the town!

Tartan, it almost looks like too much fabric in the left angle. Have you pressed the joining seams open? Lovely anyway and certainly more than good enough.

Power Poster
    Yes I pressed open and that little bump bugs me too. I am going to try a drop of glue the next time because I do love the look of this machine binding technique.

Don't sew the flange piece and the main binding strip together before joining for the length. Make each strip long enough individually, then sew together. Offset the joints when sewing together. I didn't make this up.

I can’t see it from a galloping horse. Looks better than what 8 aspire to.

Here is what I would do. Blue flange. STARCH the fabric. Cut double the width seam allowances included. Fold in half lengthwise and press. If your raw edge is not even trim by measuring from the fold. Hand baste keeping all the raw edges even. Next apply the binding and off set any seams keeping all the raw edges even sew through all thicknesses. Turn the binding and remove hand basting from the flange. I have found that this works every time for a nice even flange. When you are matching the seams you increase the overall thickness at the seams and it is almost impossible to avoid a bump. Hope this helps. Your seam matched perfectly tho.

Flange I add separately to quilt top with a basting stitch. Then sew the binding on top. For double binding, I do that Fiddy way which I haven’t done much but need to watch the tutorial posted, maybe there is an easier way.