Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is this a good fabric choice for One Block Wonder? >

Is this a good fabric choice for One Block Wonder?

Is this a good fabric choice for One Block Wonder?

Old 04-29-2014, 08:21 AM

Default Is this a good fabric choice for One Block Wonder?

I love this fabric and would like to make a OBW--will be my very first one so would like to know if this fabric would be a good choice.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 04-29-2014, 08:27 AM

It would, but there is a lot of white in that and I am not sure you would get a lot of "dark" wheels so it might have less impact than a fabric where the colors are more separated.

I am working on a kaleidoscope top right now with a similar design, but a few more colors and it has a lot of "white" wheels. I think it works as I am setting the wheels with solid gray triangles, so I am not going for that gradual shift of color that most OBWs have. I will see if I have a photo to post so you can see what I mean.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:34 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]473611[/ATTACH]

This is the fabric I started with and here is the top
[ATTACH=CONFIG]473612[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 701.jpg   831.jpg  
Old 04-29-2014, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

Personally, I would say that there are not enough colors and a bit too much white for you OBW to be successful. The pattern scale is great, however. The book tells you to choose something with 5-6 dominant colors. Here's a link to the tutorial on the board. There's a discussion on fabric selection.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ns-t92503.html

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 04-29-2014 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

It's hard to say. One of the tips in the books is to use fabric that has movement in the background, while your fabric has solid white background. However none of the rules are hard and fast. If you don't like how it goes together as a OBW you could always use a different setting, as QuiltingVagabond did. If it were my fabric, I would be tempted to go for it!
Old 04-29-2014, 09:53 AM

I just read on here that someone used a phone app to photograph and "kaleidoscope" their fabric - it gave them an idea as to how it would work in the OBW. Good luck! The OBW is on my bucket list.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:58 AM

There is also a mirror that you can buy that will show you what the hexagons would look like in an OBW.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:28 AM

I think you will be fine but to get an idea of what some of your blocks will look like fold your fabric into the width (probably 3-3/4 to 4") that you will be cutting from. Then if you can find two small mirrors ( about 4-5") and tape them together on one end so that they open up like a book - you can also buy these already taped together and they do come in handy. Then open your mirrors so that they make a 60 degree triangle - or if you have a 60 degree triangle ruler fold them so that they are just around the rulerl, then pull the ruler out. The mirrors will image (although it is not exact it gives you a very good idea) what your block will look like. Move the mirrrors so that the open end is on the bottom of your strip and them on the top (flip flopping) which is how you cut and it will give you a pretty good idea of what things will look like.

These mirrors also com in handy once your block is cut out as you have 3 ways to piece it since all of the sides are the same size (if you are doing the hexagon). You can move the cut out piece each time showing one of the tips in the corner and see how you would best like it do go together. Clear as mud - sorry I don't know how else to explain it.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:02 AM

Another suggestion that I read somewhere on this board was to photocopy the material and then cut the copies to get an idea of what it would look like. You would only need to do half of a block to see it because you could hold it up to a regular mirror to get to total affect.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
It's hard to say. One of the tips in the books is to use fabric that has movement in the background, while your fabric has solid white background. However none of the rules are hard and fast. If you don't like how it goes together as a OBW you could always use a different setting, as QuiltingVagabond did. If it were my fabric, I would be tempted to go for it!
I'm with Dunster ...... the "rules" in the original OBW book, at times have been proven as totally wrong, with some beauties posted on here before. I think this would give you a very linear look, with some interesting kaleidos formed. Yes, fewer colours, but who says OBWs have to be bright, loud and garish?

Using mirrors will give you a good read as to how it will look. Look for "locker mirrors" at Staples, or better still at the $ $tore. They will be nicely framed up with some plastic to protect against the dangerous cut edge. Then duct tape them together so they stand on end. Open it up so you see the reflections ... how you set your mirrors, will let you see 6 for OBWs, 8s for SAWs or just 4 for 4PP.

Another way to "try" your fabric without compromising the full yardage ..... cut a strip the length of your 6 repeats along the selvedge, but only the width of one set of triangles. Stack it, and cut. Then make up the first bunch of kaleidos.

You'll have a good idea ... if you like it ... motor on!
Worse case scenario, if you decide to abandon it as a OBW, you have lost some of your WOF with the good news that you still have the full length to use in a different project.