Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Good finds at the local thrift store!

I'm so excited! I can't find my Iron since we moved so I went to see if they had anything at the local thift. I got a "Light and Easy" Iron by GE for .99 cents!!! I'm so excited. Its nice it has steam and everything but it's not really heavy so its perfect for me.

I also got some sheets to use as my backing fabric for the Fun and Done quilt. I've heard it uses alot of fabrc so I thought a top sheet should be enough for a twin size bed. Well I got 3 top sheets for .99 cents in a really pretty floral and another black and white checkered top sheet for .99 :) I'll post a pic in a bit. Oh I also got a knitting project bag for .99 and a new purse with wallet for me for only 2.50!!! yay me!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

One of my favorite places to go shopping...and the inventory changes daily...

Good for you!

Blog Entries
    Yay!

I NEVER have this kind of luck :(

Happy for you though ;-)

love thift store shopping. you just not know what you are gone to find. will be glad when school out so I can go again.

Love the thrift stores!!!

Great finds!

Good for you. Oh happy Day!

Good for you hope I do as well the next time I visit the thrift store.

Congrats on your great finds!

thanks everyone! will sheets work well for the back of a quilt? I've never made one so I don't want to waste "good" fabric LOL

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    You got a great deal. You know, I went thru ALL my stash and pulled out anything I knew I would never use. It was four huge bags full of fabric. Some were fabric lines (fat quarters mostly) so I bagged them nicely all together. Anyway, I took all this to a local charity store and donated them. My husband works there once in a while to do his part in the charity world. Well, he said all my fabric but two pieces sold, but they sold them way too cheap. I told the lady that the fabric was "high quality" quilting fabric and I paid $8.99-$9.99 a yard so to not sell it too cheap. Well, she sold it so cheap. Women were coming up to the register with their arms loaded and paid $3.00 for all the fabric. I'm happy that these women were able to buy this fabric for almost nothing, but I hope it was quilters, not just somebody who's going to have a yard saler and quadruple the prices of all the fabric. My husband said one woman who always comes in looking for fabric was so excited to see all my fabric (that's all they had, was my fabric) that she bought a huge sack full for $3.00. I'm so happy a fellow quilter got a great deal. I'd give it away if it was a fellow quilter on a tight budget!! But all in all, I feel great about helping a few fellow quilters out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Great bargains! Tomorrow is my day to go. My local thrift stores have 5 for $5 Fridays. 5 garments for $5 (no coats or formal wear). Right now I'm making 3 quilts from recycled mens shirts. I'm obsessed with it. I've got about 30, all cut into 5" charms and 2 3/4" quarter charms! Need some more lights tho....

wow that's alot of fabric! I bet it was quilters buying it and they were so excited! I used to buy fabric like that and make fancy diapers for my daughter too so it could also have been something like that. Or I would even piece together scraps and make a scrappy skirt. She loved them. I used to get really creative when we had no money!!!!

Good for you. I love thrift shopping, I went yesterday and got 2 pairs of unworn leather shoes, a new Tshirt and a pair of shorts all for $14.00. May go to another store today....I love hunting for treasure.

Your sheets should work well for backing...if you are worried you could always do a test sandwich and see if you like it.

Wow u did good too! Good idea. I think I will do a test and see how it looks :)how exactly do I do a test sandwich? I am a total newbie :)

Wow u did good too! Good idea. I think I will do a test and see how it looks :)how exactly do I do a test sandwich? I am a total newbie :)

Temple, TX (Transplanted from New York 2010)
    Wow. Lucky you. I have not found any fabric at my local thrift stores. Hopefully someday. ;)

debra

Blog Entries
    Good going girl :!:

Quote Originally Posted by wannaquilt1
    It's really just a tiny version of your quilt....some scraps stitched together (same as your top), then a scrap of batting (same as your proposed quilt) and then a scrap of sheet for the backing, pin or baste it (as you would your project), then quilt it....if you find it works well with your machine (or handquilting), you are good to go on with your project. This is also a good way of figuring out what stitch length or colour cotton to go with. Happy quilting.

Blog Entries
    I have two of those irons. got both at thrift stores and love them. just the right size for pressing while piecing. I don't use the steam as they leak.

earthwalker... thanks I will do that! I'm so excited I can't wait to get my fabric :)

watson58.. thats a good heads up. i will test mine to see if it leaks. maybe that's why it ended up at the thrift LOL

i just tested it. I ironed with it for a while and it seems perfect. I filled it up with water and the steam works wonderful. im leaving it on my kitchen counter to see if it leaks overnight. Did yours leak right away?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast