Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Good First Guild Experience >

Good First Guild Experience

Good First Guild Experience

Old 03-08-2011, 06:56 AM

I just went to my first Annapolis Quilt Guild meeting last night and I had a really good time! Enough so that I decided to commit and join, at any rate. I'm extremely new to both sewing and quilting, having only touched a sewing machine for the first time in 2010. I'm also much younger than the regular crowd at 23. Regardless, I was made to feel very welcome by the people who took time to explain the ropes and I look forward to participating in further guild activities!

The concept of the quilting bees particularly interests me. There are two that I could attend, one just a few minutes away from home and one right by my Nanna's house. What do you guys generally do at a quilting bee? What do you bring? What do you find makes things go more smoothly?
Old 03-08-2011, 07:04 AM

Jennalyn, good for you! Guilds are such a valuable source of friendship, education, inspiration, and hand-holding.

Doesn't matter about age - some of my dearest Guild friends started out older than me, but now we're about the same age!!!

I think what is called a Quilting Bee in Annapolis is called a Friendship Group in Southern California. I've also heard it called a Sewing Circle in other states. I meet regularly with two groups, the Second Saturday Quilters and the Threadheads. They're my best buddies!

I say dive in and enjoy it all. As hobbyists, we all love to share what we know.

Linda
Old 03-08-2011, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

Groups usually have their own flavor. Some work on comfort quilts, others do their own quilting, some just sit and talk. Often the activities change over time. Ask the members what they do in their group, or attend a meeting and find out. And welcome to quilting!
Old 03-08-2011, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

Glad your meeting was fun!
Old 03-08-2011, 07:38 AM

I'm happy for you!
Old 03-08-2011, 09:22 AM

Thank you all for your support! I'll need to get in contact with the "Queen Bees" of the two groups in question soon, so I'll be sure to ask them what I need to bring. I'm really looking forward to being around other quilters - the only quilter I know personally is my Great Aunt who sadly lives in Canada about 20 hours away. Visiting her house once was like visiting a treasure trove!
Old 03-08-2011, 05:50 PM

I belong to 2 Guilds. And I love them both. We have members from 18 to 92. We make Quilt of Valor guilts for our wounded militarys. We make quilts for our area people who are ill or have a death in the family, or fires in the home, etc. We make quilts to raffle to raise funds to help purchase the backing fabrics and batting for the quilts. 95 percent of the top fabrics are all donated by our members. We also made and sent 350 Christmas stocking to be given to out troups overseas at Christmas, And we made and sent Dresses for the African Children program. Both groups are very eager to help any program that we can. At our meetings, we have Show and Tell,a business meeting and almost always a program. Either we have someone for a quiltshop, a local designer or one of our members put on the programs. Always very interesting. And there is always so many answers and help to any quilting questions.