Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it a good idea???? >

Is it a good idea????

Is it a good idea????

Old 02-07-2016, 06:45 AM

Nothing to this....fiction makes for entertaining media.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
I wouldn't do the Underground Railroad bit for the reasons you've already heard. But I did a presentation on quilt making and quilt care for my husband's Rotary group and it was a BIG hit--they were interested in how quilts where made, the variety of ways to quilt (and I LOVE your idea of having each give it a try with hand quilting), but most especially interested in how to care for a quilt--especially antique quilts. Seems like everyone has a quilt that was grandma's or great's, etc and most are stashed in some cedar chest absorbing cedar oils or in a trash bag in the basement/attic, etc--lots were talking about retrieving and storing elsewhere.
You could still do it but just present both sides. It is interesting regardless.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:29 AM

The article QuiltsRfun gives the link for is a good explanation of the myth of the underground quilt. It is great folklore but thus far unsubstantiated so take care what you tell the group about this particular idea. Conversation about where civil war quilts fabric came from might be more fact-based. I often wondered, with cotton availability being compromised and most wool going to military uniforms, what the quilt-makers used. Have fun.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:09 AM

Quilts used for code to communicate with people using the underground railroad make for a very emotional topic. Those who want to believe it don't seem to change their minds when given the reasons why it is a myth. Tread carefully if you decide to give a program on the subject. It is bound to offend someone in the group.

The topic of Civil War quilts made on both sides is broad and very interesting. It is a program that should be well received by northerners and southerners alike.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:33 AM

There were a couple of books written by Jennifer Chiaverini concerning underground railroad quilts in her Elm Creek series. She must have done some research to be able to write about it. She may have a web site that entertains questions, might be a place to start.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:59 PM

My thought is.....Surely the slave owners and bounty hunters would have known all about the quilt codes and the home owners would have been in a heap of trouble, not to mention that the slaves would have been easy targets for capture. Sweet sentiment but hardly rational or believable. Sad thing is that people have played on emotions to make money by selling books and giving lectures.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Material Witness View Post
But it would still be an interesting program. Make up 10 potholders and let them try stitching, then you can later machine quilt them, and maybe return them to them.
great idea!
Old 02-07-2016, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
I wouldn't do the Underground Railroad bit for the reasons you've already heard. But I did a presentation on quilt making and quilt care for my husband's Rotary group and it was a BIG hit--they were interested in how quilts where made, the variety of ways to quilt (and I LOVE your idea of having each give it a try with hand quilting), but most especially interested in how to care for a quilt--especially antique quilts. Seems like everyone has a quilt that was grandma's or great's, etc and most are stashed in some cedar chest absorbing cedar oils or in a trash bag in the basement/attic, etc--lots were talking about retrieving and storing elsewhere.
Oh another great point! Thank you!!
Old 02-07-2016, 02:59 PM

I really appreciate everyone's input. Thank you! I think I will stick to known facts which includes the possibility that quilts as code is more-than-unlikely! Definitely will be giving a brief history of quilt making....including the "modern quilt" phenomenon. There are so many incredible fabric artists out there! But I'm always equally amazed at the artistry to the truly old quilts as well...

Right now my difficulty is figuring out whether I can synchronize my new "smart tv" with my computer to show images on it... being the "toron" I am, this should be a true challenge!!! wish me luck!!!