Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Good inexpensive machine >

Good inexpensive machine

Good inexpensive machine

Old 12-20-2011, 06:46 AM

Default Good inexpensive machine

This seems like the place for this question. I have been considering purchasing an inexpensive machine for taking to our charity quilting once a month and also to quilt camp 2 times each year. I have a viking designer 1 but hate hauling it around as it's heavy and overkill for what I'm doing. I mostly use straight stitch at both places and maybe just a zig zag or something. I have never owned anything but Viking but am not excited about the prices on them right now. Any ideas?? I know you will have many and I appreciate it.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:56 AM

I have a Brother I purchased from Walmart that I take to class. I have had it about 3 years with no problems.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:07 AM

I purchased an inexpensive Janome that had been refurbished and is very light. I love it. I purchased it with free shipping, a one year warranty from Overstock.com and it was only $85.00. That was 2 years ago, but I have seen other Janome's on there under $100.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:10 AM

I like my small Janome too. It's light weight but does everything I need in a class or guild stitch-in.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:48 AM

I have a Babylock "Grace" I use for traveling. Works well for piecing. The "Anna" is very basic, if that's what you want. Ebay and Craigslist are good sources once you decide what you are looking for.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by coldquilter View Post
This seems like the place for this question. I have been considering purchasing an inexpensive machine for taking to our charity quilting once a month and also to quilt camp 2 times each year. I have a viking designer 1 but hate hauling it around as it's heavy and overkill for what I'm doing. I mostly use straight stitch at both places and maybe just a zig zag or something. I have never owned anything but Viking but am not excited about the prices on them right now. Any ideas?? I know you will have many and I appreciate it.
Do NOT buy a cheap new Singer! I did and it literally flew apart.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:12 AM
Banned

I have a Jem Gold and Platinum - like them both
Old 12-20-2011, 08:43 AM

This is the one I have for traveling. Love it.

http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewi...1/product.html
Old 12-20-2011, 08:54 AM

I bought a refurbished Brother cs6000i for $125 to take to classes. I got it online from Ken's Sewing in Alabama. He has a Brother internet contract and sells many, many machines very reasonable and will take care of them, too. I do business with him whenever I need a machine or parts. He is great to work with and I do recommend him. The first machine I bought from him I was afraid of having it shipped with damage so we drove over to his shop in northwest Alabama. My Brother I had him ship and I couldn't have been more pleased with his packaging, and will never have to worry about shipping from him again.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by fmhall2 View Post
I bought a refurbished Brother cs6000i for $125 to take to classes. I got it online from Ken's Sewing in Alabama. He has a Brother internet contract and sells many, many machines very reasonable and will take care of them, too. I do business with him whenever I need a machine or parts. He is great to work with and I do recommend him. The first machine I bought from him I was afraid of having it shipped with damage so we drove over to his shop in northwest Alabama. My Brother I had him ship and I couldn't have been more pleased with his packaging, and will never have to worry about shipping from him again.
Wow, what a great place to shop.