Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Good Old Days - Remembering Old Fabric Shops >

The Good Old Days - Remembering Old Fabric Shops

The Good Old Days - Remembering Old Fabric Shops

Old 06-26-2011, 08:23 AM

We had Tiedtke's--Woolworths and G.C.Murphy stores and I remember the meters Sadly all 3 places are gone now But my childhood memories are filled with shopping with my Gramma and the fun we had looking for all the right fabrics and notions and the sweet ladies that helped in our quests Thank you for waking these memories
Old 06-26-2011, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by athenagwis
Originally Posted by Luv Quilts and Cats
Oh My Gosh! I remember those! I used to think they were the neatest thing! ... the only fabric shop around was down the street from me. It was called Martin's Fabrics
Wow Martin's .... it's so funny to see someone in the same state as me!! :) I love Martin's, I never saw it when it was in the castle building, but I have gone there many times over the past 10 years. They have actually downsized A LOT and moved buildings again I think.

Rachel
I bought yardage of soccer material from Martin's House of Cloth in Manchester (or it was at the time). I made hair scrunchies for the soccer girls, Varsity and JV too.
I used to be Asst. Mgr. at So-Fro Fabrics and we used the meters. Not so good on the double knits.
I remember in HS going to Dorr Woolens for material to make slacks and skirts. Being wool they had to be lined, double fun with a zipper.

piney
Old 06-26-2011, 09:41 AM

I remember shopping at Penney's for fabric...exactly the same meter and tube system. I was just fascinated with the tube system and loved to watch the carriers zipping up and back from the cashiers. And our Penney's was a two story store! One of two multi-story buildings in our little town back in the '50s.

We also shopped at a couple of fabric stores in downtown McAllen, TX (which was SO small back then)with Spanish names: La Barata and La Dama Elegante. I loved those names!

Anita
Old 06-26-2011, 10:01 AM

I remember the meters...I think I used to get fabric at TG&Y in our town in FL.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:46 AM

I also got a lot of fabric from TG&Y, and Penny's and Joske's here in Houston. And I remember those machines too.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:54 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

My gosh, I'd forgotten all about the meters! Wonder where I would have seen them in action... my mom didn't sew, I didn't sew much as a kid. Hmmm. Now I'm going to have to clear out some cobwebs and see if I can't remember.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:58 AM

Guess the measuring meters were either before my time, I really doubt that, or before I recall buying my own fabric. I think the stores I did buy at in the 70's only used shears to cut. Kinda cool looking device though.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by great aunt jacqui
I remember all of that. Woolworths was the first place I bought fabric, making dolls clothes when I was 10.
;) Same here remember those machines, they used to fascinate me. I loved to watch the ladies run the fabric thu the machine then tear. Thanks for the memories. BrendaK
Old 06-26-2011, 11:33 AM

I remember these too . . .It brings back memories of my grandmother buying fabric at JC Penny and Woolworths. Thanks for the memory!
Old 06-26-2011, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Lyncat
... a store called S.A.S. in Phoenix that was filled with fabric that was overstock from factories, and was sold by the pound.
...They had big barrels of buttons that were sold by the cupful, trim that was very inexpensive.
...The best part is, the store is still there, so I have been shopping there for at least 45 years.
Fabric by the Pound - Our daughter is now working for her Grandmother-in-Law at a little fabric shop in Elkview WV that still sells some fabric by the pound today. You don’t see many shops that do that anymore.

Trim - The previous owners of our shop left us with over 1200 bolts of trims, much of it from back decades ago. When we sell out of some trims, that’s the last of it. We can’t re-order it.

Bulk Buttons - We have a local landmark in our little shop called “The Button Box”. It measures 4’ long, 2 1/2’ wide, and 1 1/2’ deep. We changed the location of it in the store when we took over in 2006, and it is so heavy that we had to take the buttons out of it to move it. By counting buttons in sample scoops and multiplying by the number of scoops, we calculated that there are at least 200,000 buttons in that box. It was established at least 50 years ago (in the same building) by Mr. Kelley who operated “Kelley’s Outlet”, a variety store that included fabric and sewing notions. Several local ladies that worked for Mr. Kelley have provided the history. When the store changed hands to become the “Spinning Wheel Fabric Center” in 1975, the Button Box was continued by the new owner, Mrs. Floyd for the next 30 years. Mr. Kelley and Mrs. Floyd both sold buttons out of that box for 5 cents each, and we still sell them for the same price today. I buy buttons at auctions, Estate Sales, and yard sales and dump them into the box to keep it going. We have Grandmothers that bring their Grandchildren in just to play in the Button Box like they did when THEIR Grandmother brought THEM in to play in it.

The store is still there - I would love to visit that store someday!

CD in Oklahoma