Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Good Pair of Scissors? >

Good Pair of Scissors?

Good Pair of Scissors?

Old 08-11-2014, 04:16 AM

Ok, I'm going to shock everyone. I'm very fond of my ikea scissors. Both my shears and the three pack that runs about $3. They are sharp, light weight and inexpensive.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
I had a pair of Ginghers that needed sharpening, so I purchased a pair of Fiskars. The Fiskars were so stiff that I find myself NOT using them. I still haven't found someone to sharpen the Ginghers, so I bought another pair! I don't buy them (scissors) very often, but when I do, I buy good quality ones!

Jeanette
Ginghers will sharpen them for $8.00 a pair. Turnaround time is about 2 weeks.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:24 AM

I love Kai scissors. I also have a pair of Gingher which I like but if I need to pick my absolute favorite, I will have to go with Kai.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:08 AM

I use to own a pair of Ginghers that I absolutely loved. The only problem is that I have severe arthritis in my hands and they were too heavy. I know own a pair of Kai scissors that I love.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Chaney Ranch View Post
I am wanting to purchase a good pair of sewing shears with the blades 4-5 inches in length. Please recommend a good brand to buy. Thanks!
Definitely KAI!!!!
Old 08-12-2014, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I like Kai scissors.
I have gingher scissors & I also have Fiskars spring action scissors which are favorites BUT having said that my DH bought me a pair of Kai scissors for Christmas one year & they are FANTASTIC. Not cheap but as far as I am concerned they are the best. For someone with arthritic hands they might be more troublesome (they are heavy) but boy do they cut, like going through butter. Just my humble opinion.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:00 AM

I have Gingher, Kai, Buckley, and I preferred the Kai...until I discovered, of all brands, Clover Bordeaux. OMG! it is like cutting through butter! I got my first pair on Amazon, then I found them at Tuesday morning last year for $20 less..I bought all that was left for my daughter and family. They are expensive, but so worth it.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:02 AM

I have Ginghers ! Three different ones for different uses.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:17 AM

I love my ginghers but recently purchased kai scissors. They are just as good in my opinion but a lot cheaper. Look for them at big quilt shows and they have some wonderful specials. If you order from kai on line shipping is free.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:36 AM

Mmmmmmmmmm, scissors. There are several quality brands of scissors, Dovo, Gingher, Sheffield, Wiss, Bohin to name just a few. Fiskars are okay if that's all you can get.

My most used full size pair is Elan. I found them at a quilt store. They come in two sizes, have serrated blades and are very reasonably priced.

The thing is, no one pair of scissors is perfect for everything. I have one pair of scissors that I paid $57 for and only use them when I cut the ends of binding. They have the perfect blade width to lay on the ruler to cut the binding to length. I use my Ginghers when I make stuff from Timtex. They're sharp enough to cut it perfectly. I have an itty bitty pair in my hand sewing tin. The tin is exactly big enough to hold a spool of Mettler.