Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
good tip for storing binding? >

good tip for storing binding?

good tip for storing binding?

Old 06-08-2013, 06:12 PM

I mounted a toilet paper dispenser under my sewing table. I wrap the binding around a TP roll and place it on the dispenser. It unrolls as I sew it. I usually install TP in an "over" fashion, but have discovered that "under" works better for the binding on the dispenser, lol.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:37 PM

I wrap my binding around my hand/fist to the size with center large enough to put my hand through. When sewing it on quilt I just slip my hand through so the binding is around my wrist. Then sew, pulling more off as needed. I have trouble with it on the floor as I tend to run over it with my chair so need to keep it up where I am working.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:58 PM

If you happen to have a spindle that a stack of CD's came on, and the cover with a hole in it, you can put the binding, wrapped around a TP roll, on the spindle and feed it through the top. If the cover is too short, you can cut your TP core shorter. It will still hold quite a lot of binding. You may have to cut a hole in the top using a craft knife, and in that case, it's easier to cut a rectangle, and I'd put it on one side rather than in the middle of the cover.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:20 PM

seems so many have ready made binding on hand.. how do you decide ahead of making a quilting what fabric to make into binding??? is this question as clear as mud??

I've never made binding up in advance...
Old 06-10-2013, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by EdieClay View Post
I wrap my binding around the cardboard out of a roll of toilet paper. When I start to bind my quilt, I put the roll of toilet paper in a small bucket. It rolls around in the bucket unwinding as I sew. Simple, easy, and cheap!
I do the same thing, and I tape the ends to keep them from unrolling until I need them. I use a wide mouthed ceramic vase kept under my sewing table to let the binding unroll.
Diane
Old 06-11-2013, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by bluteddi View Post
seems so many have ready made binding on hand.. how do you decide ahead of making a quilting what fabric to make into binding??? is this question as clear as mud??

I've never made binding up in advance...
I didn't mean to imply anything about long storage of binding. I just use the CD spindle for the process of applying it, so that it doesn't get dragged all over, frayed and stretched. I too, usually decide on the binding after everything else is done.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:22 PM

I bought some fabric at Walmart - 1 or 2 yd precuts - they came wrapped on a nice sturdy piece of cardboard. I have reused those over and over again to wrap binding around. (I used the fabric for Christmas runners).
Old 06-12-2013, 10:36 AM

I roll it then put a string thru the middle hang around my neck. Got this tip from Eleanor Burns.