Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: good tutorial formaking a applique pattern

I have a few coloring pages of doves I want to applique. I'm making quilts for the hospice I volunteer for. Their symbol is a peace dove. want to applique some on the quilts. BUT I'm new at applique let alone making my own pattern. Any help on how to go about it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I use either wonder under or lite heat bond (make sure it's LITE not Heavy) can buy at Joann's by the yd or in package..cheeper by the yd...trace pattern onto whichever you chose, some cut the center out and only leave the outer border to give it a softer feel or you can just use the whole piece...iron onto back of fabric your using for your dove cut out your dove pull off paper backing and iron onto your foundation fabric.

Blog Entries
    I found the heat and bond gumed up my needle, so I use the steam a seam........JMO calla

There are some good applique tutorials on the net. Just do a search for "applique tutorial".

You can also go to youtube and search for it.

How do I cut it out? How much seam allowance? and tips to make this easier is appreciated. PLAN to try and make 14 twin size quilt once I'm done. Have no idea how long it will take BUT>>>

I used to cut it out with about 1/4" of extra fabric outside the pattern lines (you can always trim if you want later, you can't add it back.). If I was using a cereal box cardboard (or you can use freezer paper according to how often you want to cut it out) pattern, I'd try to iron the extra over the edge of the pattern so it would be easier to apply.

If it was an inside curve, I'd clip every so often so it would turn easily.

I haven't done any for 20 years so there are probably easier and better ways to do this now like there are for everything else(I love progress). The internet wasn't around when I was learning so it was pretty much a trial and error thing.

Have you looked at Youtube, there you can actually SEE how it's done, I love youtube. There's a batch of tutes on it.
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...lique+tutorial